Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   albino tiger help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/albino-tiger-help-123400/)

Spidykat 12-23-2012 04:31 AM

albino tiger help?

ok so first off let me say i already know housing slow moving fish with tiger barbs are bad! BUT albino tigers are not aggressive (or so i thought)

ok so i already had 6 albino tiger barbs and they were not aggressive towards any fish at all and loved the company of the 4 angels i have they actually used to school with them.

i have since then rescued some dwarf puffers and had to switch around some fish so i took the 4 albinos i had in my 10 G and put them in the 50. with the 6 others.. and now the new 4 are attacking my angels and other slow moving fish!!! im wondering if its because they arent used to packs? or what i was told if i had 8 or more that wouldnt happen and thats why i transffered them there instead of the 5 gallon... so the question is what do i do to help solve my problem! my angels are becoming finless!!!!!

(just to brighten some things up one of the larger tigers was attacking a white cloud (pretty much one of the angels friends) and the angel went after it like no tomorrow (very ferocious) just thought i could lighten up the mood) it was hilarious!!!

fish monger 12-23-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidykat (Post 1359408)
ok so first off let me say i already know housing slow moving fish with tiger barbs are bad! BUT albino tigers are not aggressive (or so i thought)

ok so i already had 6 albino tiger barbs and they were not aggressive towards any fish at all and loved the company of the 4 angels i have they actually used to school with them.

i have since then rescued some dwarf puffers and had to switch around some fish so i took the 4 albinos i had in my 10 G and put them in the 50. with the 6 others.. and now the new 4 are attacking my angels and other slow moving fish!!! im wondering if its because they arent used to packs? or what i was told if i had 8 or more that wouldnt happen and thats why i transffered them there instead of the 5 gallon... so the question is what do i do to help solve my problem! my angels are becoming finless!!!!!

(just to brighten some things up one of the larger tigers was attacking a white cloud (pretty much one of the angels friends) and the angel went after it like no tomorrow (very ferocious) just thought i could lighten up the mood) it was hilarious!!!

The albinos are said to be less aggressive than the common tigers; however, any slow moving and / or long finned fish is going to be at risk. Tigers and puffers are usually considered poor tank mates for angels. The larger group theory is valid but, you still need to have the appropriate mix in the community. Big groups of tigers like long fins the same as small groups. I realize that we all have limited space; however, if you can get the tigers away from the angels, do it. It sounds like you have 50, 10, and 5 gallon tanks. The puffers would probably be fine in the 10 gallon. Beyond that, you would need to decide which fish you want to keep and rehome the others to either friends or a LFS that might take them. Naturally, if you are in a position to get another tank of appropriate size, that would be great.

Byron 12-23-2012 11:51 AM

Sadly (for the poor fish) you have learned the wisdom of the advice that sedate fish must never be combined with known "aggressive" fish. It is true that occassionally this may seem to work, at least for a time, but this is the exception and there is no telling when the fish may decide to be "normal" again.

Numbers in the group and space also affect this inherent trait. Sometimes it gets worse, sometimes the fish behave the opposite, extremely docile to the point of being frightened themselves and withdrawn. And again, this can suddenly change.

Please remove those angels from the barbs; even if no physical damage occurs, the allomones are there and the angels will be affected, which weakens their immune system and causes a shortened lifespan.

Byron.

Spidykat 12-23-2012 09:26 PM

ok so i dont need you guys to tell me what to do the angels are fine with the albino barbs and will and always will be housed with them fish adjust as long as my angels dont loose any more fin (they were lost from the regular tiger barbs) and so far as of today everyone has adjusted to the new tank members.. so i was just wondering how to help solve it if i need more fish or what?

Spidykat 12-23-2012 09:27 PM

and the puffers are already in the 10G alone..

Spidykat 12-23-2012 09:27 PM

i said i moved all the tiger barbs from the 10 to the 50.. to put the puffers in the 10.

AK Fresh Water 12-24-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidykat (Post 1360188)
ok so i dont need you guys to tell me what to do the angels are fine with the albino barbs and will and always will be housed with them fish adjust as long as my angels dont loose any more fin (they were lost from the regular tiger barbs) and so far as of today everyone has adjusted to the new tank members.. so i was just wondering how to help solve it if i need more fish or what?

Why did you ask for help if you were just going to ignore people's advice?

Spidykat 12-24-2012 01:26 PM

its not ignoring advice i wanted to know how to change there behavior.. without moving any fish... the next step is going down the toilet .. and i dont like there answers..

marshallsea 12-24-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidykat (Post 1360753)
its not ignoring advice i wanted to know how to change there behavior.. without moving any fish... the next step is going down the toilet .. and i dont like there answers..

You ask for help but it never seems to be what you want to hear.

redchigh 12-24-2012 01:58 PM

Sorry, fish cannot be "trained". They will always do what is in their nature.

Also, the idea of flushing live fish (to a lot of us) borders solidly on animal abuse, and is an upsetting thought for a lot of us. Many of us would gladly take the fish off your hands by paying shipping costs.