Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Do dwarf gourami need "dither fish"? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/do-dwarf-gourami-need-dither-fish-123377/)

redchigh 12-22-2012 07:50 PM

Do dwarf gourami need "dither fish"?

4 Attachment(s)
I have a 20Long "Asian Swamp" biotope tank inhabited by my pair of dwarf flame gourami and their spawn (a half-dozen or so nickel-quarter sized fish). The tank looks nice, with tannin-stained driftwood and several live plants.... Unfortunately, I never see the fish. Every couple of weeks I move a net around the tank just to see if the fish are still alive.
When I feed the tank I don't even see them, but if I leave the room and come back the food is gone. I do see them when they spawn though, which is a 2-3 day marathon every month or two.

The glass in the tank is tinted with a hard brown algae that I usually ignore, thinking that if it gets dark enough, maybe the fish will come out more.
Lighting is a single-tube flourescent fixture.

Would a small school of rasboras or a trio of loaches help?
Is there any fish that would leave the eggs alone? If not, I can remove the eggs when they're laid.

Pictures of the tank are attached, but they're quite poor.

fish monger 12-23-2012 06:46 AM

Interesting question. You usually hear about dither fish in connection with dwarf cichlids but, not with gourami. We know that dwarf gourami are fairly timid and shy. In a way, it seems that the younger fish might serve as dithers. Can you think of something that might be spooking them ? Otherwise, if everybody is healthy, maybe leave well enough alone. On the other hand, a peaceful bottom dwelling specie that is not overly active might help. I know, thanks for nothing.

redchigh 12-23-2012 09:46 AM

The fry are just as timid as the gourami... I know your probably right on "leave well enough alone", but I wish I could see my beautiful fish. :/
They get spooked by any movement outside the tank- read, any movement in the room. hmm..

fish monger 12-23-2012 10:39 AM

Maybe some smaller not too active fish ( dithers) would help bring them out.

redchigh 12-23-2012 11:32 AM

Thats what I'm thinking, maybe a school of harlequins...

I wonder if dwarfs would eat shrimp...

fish monger 12-23-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1359677)
Thats what I'm thinking, maybe a school of harlequins...

I wonder if dwarfs would eat shrimp...

Harlequins were what I was thinking about...couldn't remember the name. Are you thinking of enticing the dwarfs out with a meal of shrimp ;-)

redchigh 12-23-2012 05:17 PM

Was hoping the shrimp would survive...