Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   White spots and aggressive Dal. Molly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/white-spots-aggressive-dal-molly-123262/)

autumn1123 12-21-2012 10:11 AM

White spots and aggressive Dal. Molly

1 Attachment(s)
I need help! I have several fish in a 10 gal tank that have white spots and one extremely aggressive Dalmatian Molly. I had to remove him from the tank because he would dart at all of my fish one by one and nip at them. They began to swim really crazy like they were really stressed. After I removed her and added her to a breeder tank- the rest of the fish calmed down. This morning I turned on the light in the tank to check on them (as I always do) and noticed that my orange balloon molly had white spots on her.. as did my other two balloon mollies and my second dalmatian molly. I do a 25% water change every other day as well (my tank is over stocked and waiting on my new 55 gal to cycle). They did not have these last night (I watch them for a long time every night as I am amazed by how beautiful they are) What could the fuzzy white spots be? What can I do about it?

Shewbert 12-22-2012 03:43 AM

Shame you moved the other fish into your breeder tank, potentially you have moved this infestation to the other tank as well.
Could you post the results of a water test , what fish you have in tank etc.
The large spot behind it's eye could possibly be fungal, without the stats on your tank we would not know where to start
Ray

autumn1123 12-24-2012 10:21 PM

I did not move the fish to a separate tank, it is a breeder tank to hang on the inside of the big tank. Also, I just purchased a test kit.

Ammonia is between .25 and .50
pH is 8.4 (three days after 50% wc and a pH tablet)
buffer is above 300
Hardness is 120
NO2 is greater than 10
No3 is between 20 and 40

I was told to drop the pH tablet to lower it because it is WAY too high. Also, after the wc the spots are fewer and smaller than before, I also added a little aquarium salt.

Shewbert 12-27-2012 01:23 PM

The tablet was fine, looks like it was fungal, the salt was ok to put in.
If your filter allows you to place a carbon pad in it, place one in at your next water change.
It should soak up the chemicals and the fungal spores left in the tank, you don't need carbon all of the time, but it does do a good job of clearing the water.
Hopefully you will not need any more treatment, remember your 30-50% water changes every week, your tank levels will soon settle back to normal.
Ray

butterbean 12-27-2012 05:01 PM

I didn't do it for high PH because I wasn't worried about it. I added driftwood for my Albino BN and my ph dropped from 8.0 to 7.5 If you can lower your PH naturally it is always better then using chemicals. The problem is using a chemical to fix your water is just going to have to be repeated and that in the long run will not be very good for your fish.

Shewbert 01-03-2013 06:55 PM

I could not advise on alternative treatment because the tablet and salt had already been placed into the tank, but a carbon pad placed into the flow of the filter will absorb any chemicals in the water.
You do not normally need a carbon filter as it can filter out natural bacteria in your tank, but very useful in clearing up chemical treatments.
Mandy

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterbean (Post 1364259)
I didn't do it for high PH because I wasn't worried about it. I added driftwood for my Albino BN and my ph dropped from 8.0 to 7.5 If you can lower your PH naturally it is always better then using chemicals. The problem is using a chemical to fix your water is just going to have to be repeated and that in the long run will not be very good for your fish.

autumn1123 01-04-2013 12:52 AM

I am excited to say that with a little salt added to the community tank and a good water change... my babies are perfect!!! They are swimming around like nothing happened. Also, you guys can check out my other thread about the new 55 gal. I am going to post pictures of it as I get it started and ready to move my babies to a bigger home! :lol:

Thank you for all the advice everyone!