Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Very sick/dying? Dwarf Guarami (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/very-sick-dying-dwarf-guarami-123217/)

Moleen 12-20-2012 05:43 PM

Very sick/dying? Dwarf Guarami

My niece has a dwarf Guarami (sp?). HeIn the last couple of days he has become quite thin, can't keep himself upright, curling his body....has been lying on the bottom for almost 2 days...flips around once in a while. I fully expected him to be dead this morning but he was still hanging in there so I figured I'd throw in some Lifeguard by Tetra. When I came home from work he seemed a little more lively. Still laying on his side... I offered him some bloodworms and he inhaled them! So I took that as a good sign that he has an appetite? I would love any and all advice!

10 gallon tank
Planted/black sand substrate
H20 parameters are all good
temp around 78
tank has been up for a year
inhabitants are 1 guarami, 3 snails (Guarami is about 8 months old)
weekly h20 changes
Prime conditioner
daily feeding (flakes, spirulins and bloodworms)
12 hrs of light

Bluewind 12-20-2012 06:28 PM

What's you chemistry? Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Hardness, pH, and so on. We need to rule out a few things and narrow down the possible problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 12-21-2012 01:39 AM

In the mean time, feed him whatever he will eat and do a 20% water change daily. (be sure to try to make the water the same temperature).

Agree, we need more information.

Moleen 12-21-2012 05:00 AM

OK... just did some tests. I use API liquid tests:

Ammonia- between 0-.25 (that's normal, that's how it comes out of tap)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: between 15-20
PH 6.8 ish

I'm goin to video him and I'll put it on You Tube under the title "Bozo Fish" I'll let you all know when I get it on you tube.

Bluewind 12-21-2012 11:03 AM

Amonia, Nitrite, and pH are okay for them. How's they hardness? They like soft water.

The Nitrate is a hair hight as after a bit of googling I found that they are sensative to anything over 15. It's most likely not what's wrong, but best to keep up the pwc as it will make whatever is going on worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moleen 12-21-2012 06:19 PM

Posted video on You Tube!!!!!

Hi all,

Thanx for all who took the time to reply. "Squatch" the Guarami is still alive!!!! I posted a video on You Tube titled "Bozo Fish". I just fed him some bloodworms and he snorked them up! This stupid fish is killing me! He's not mine, he's my 14 yr old niece's fish....but being a 14yr old, she has no interest in him and I am left to care for him. He's breaking my heart because he has such a will to live!!!! What do I do? Does anyone know a humane way to euthanize him if it comes to that? Thank you and Merry Christmas! Kathy

Bluewind 12-21-2012 07:23 PM

As long as he is eating, he can survive.

There are many humane ways to put down a fish. Clove oil, anestetic, and the more graphic ones like crushing or chopping off the head. Some use the cold bath method, but they just hybarnate when you do that and can take a while to die. Let me PM Byron and see if he can put in his input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 12-21-2012 08:39 PM

I'm not sure what this issue is, or what causes it, but I have had fish get it. Something to do with the swim bladder I believe, though it can be triggered by protozoan and who knows what else. It may be genetic.

Anyway, the fish is highly unlikely to survive or recover; I have never seen one that did. They weaken further and further until one morning they are gone. Since this is the only fish, there is no problem just leaving it and feeding it as best you can. Who knows, it might make it! In community tanks such fish never recover, perhaops because they can't get food. I just put down an Emperor Tetra last week with this same problem. But I did this because it was wasting away, the other fish were around it, and it seemed best.

Byron.

Edson 12-23-2012 01:04 AM

Just used the clove oil method of euthanasia for the first time. Fish went straight out and died a minute or two later. Good luck.