Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Upgrading the Puffers to a 26 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/upgrading-puffers-26-gallon-123193/)

Andarial 12-20-2012 12:48 PM

Upgrading the Puffers to a 26 gallon

I am getting the itch for a larger aquarium again and have been looking at a 26 gallon bowfront. I am planning on upgrading the 15 gallon puffer tank I have right now to the bowfront. I know that with a heavily planted tank, which this will be, that it shouldn't need to be cycled. But I am nervous about losing anyone. So I am hoping if I put some of the old tank water in with the new tank and run the old filter off of it for a while it will be better in the long run? I dunno? Will I have to worry at all?

Boredomb 12-20-2012 01:08 PM

Puffers are really sensitive to ammonia and nitrites since they don't have scales. The water from your old tank won't do much good. The bacteria you are looking for will be in the substrate. If you don't want to move the substrate you can get some and put it in some panty hose and let it float in the tank infront of the filter. Also any driftwood or decor will have the bacteria needed to help out. So you could move some of those too. Plants will help out as you know a lot! Running the old filter will too. How many puffers are you talking about and what kind?

Andarial 12-20-2012 01:17 PM

Two Indian dwarf puffers, I am planning on moving all my decor and driftwood over so hopefully that will help. I also have several shrimp I'll be moving over with them and 4 otos. I already have a testing kit so that won't be a problem.

Boredomb 12-20-2012 01:26 PM

I would think that would be fine then. Would definitely just watch the parameters. Also do your otos take prepared foods such as algae wafers or do you feed them veggies??
Posted via Mobile Device

Andarial 12-20-2012 01:27 PM

They take algae wafers I've never tried veggies with them... I used to with my pleco o.o I didn't know otos took veggies.

Boredomb 12-20-2012 01:53 PM

Some will some won't. I am betting if yours takes algae wafers then they will take veggies. I couldnt ever get mine to take anything but algae. LoL

I was just wonder because they won't be any algea in the new tank for them as you already know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andarial 12-20-2012 01:55 PM

Yeah they always attack the algae wafer like crazy so I'm not worried, ^^ thank god otherwise I wouldn't be able to switch them over immediatly

Boredomb 12-20-2012 02:43 PM

Just out of curiosity what filter do you plan on running on the new tank?

Andarial 12-20-2012 05:16 PM

I was recommended to run a fluval, I was thinking a Fluval U2. I can't have too powerful a filter because of the shrimp but I would still like something stronger than what I have now. Should I run both filters at the same time? when I am switching over to the new tank, the new and old one?

Boredomb 12-20-2012 05:51 PM

I use to have a Fluval U1 in my tank 29 tank. Its fillled half way with water. So its somewhere around 14-15 gallons of actual water. I didn't like the fluval that well. It didn't circulate the water in the whole tank as well as I wanted it to. That and it was pretty much a fancy sponge filter. Now I think the U2 has more then just a sponge. I took it out and put my Ehiem 2213 classic canister filter on the tank. I have a sponge on the intake so the puffers and ghost shrimp don't get sucked up. I also have the output throttled down so it doesn't spray as hard. The spray bar itself has more holes in it aswell. Which helps with a less of a current but has the same volume coming out. I have been told numerous times that with these lil guts you need 10x gph of the tank size they are housed in. Mine do fine with the filter have now and don't get knocked around with the way I have it setup.
What is your old filter?