Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   75 gallon stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/75-gallon-stocking-123110/)

Akeath 12-19-2012 01:41 PM

75 gallon stocking

I think I've finally figured out the choices I want for my 75 gallon aquarium, and wanted to run it by you guys to double check that I'm not overstocked and that everyone would get along well, and that the water conditions would be good for all the species involved.

Stocking plan is:
10 Harlequin Rasboras (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
11 Gold Tetras (Hemigrammus rodwayi)
18 Panda Cories (Corydoras panda)
1 male Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp., not sure on the exact one)
1 female Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna)
10 Black Neon Tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)

Tank specs:
75 gallons
6.6 pH
10 gH
74 degrees
Ammonia and Nitrites are consistently 0 ppm, Nitrates are usually well below 20 ppm
Weekly 40-50% water changes

Also, I think I might have to baffle my Penguin 350 B filter for the comfort of the Gourami, so any suggestions on how to manage that well would be welcome. My other filter is an Aquaclear 70 that can easily be adjusted. I didn't know if the Penguin should be baffled differently on account of having the biowheels where one would normally use a water bottle baffler. Or should I wait and see how the Gourami reacts to the current in the tank before baffling it?

Granberry 12-19-2012 02:22 PM

I am just curious...why do you want so many panda cories? I have never had any, so I don't know anything about them.

Akeath 12-19-2012 03:11 PM

Well, honestly the reason I have so many Pandas in the stocking plan is that every now and then fry seem to get by, even in a community tank, and I'm accommodating for that. When I got them the very first time I had planned on having only 10 of them, like the others - but since they breed pretty much daily, they keep slowly adding to their numbers. Right now I have under a dozen, but I suspect in a couple years I may have around 18.
I might have tried to rehome the occasional fry if they weren't already my favorite fish in the aquarium, though. I really enjoy seeming them appear and grow up sporadically. The fry will start schooling with the adults when they are the size of an adult's caudal fin, which is incredibly cute. They are really cute together - they actually look like they are playing with each other, and they have particular friends within the school that hang out with each other. They also tend to be shy in the day time, and are mostly out in the mornings and evenings. So the more of them I have, the more likely I am to see them hanging out together in the day time. They are awake during the day, just under the driftwood or plants or something - they like "a roof over their head" during the day. I also like the way they bumble through the sand looking for their food.

Byron 12-19-2012 04:35 PM

Nothing in your list stands out as trouble, to me anyway. And there is lots of space for more fish should you find other species you like down the road.

Ah, corys...you can never have too many.;-)

Akeath 12-24-2012 01:53 PM

Well, I've started adding in the Black Neons. They are getting along with everyone very well. However, with them added in the tank's population as a whole feels a bit darker and duller. I'm wondering if I could add another fish species to brighten the aquarium up if I still think it looks too dull in a few weeks.

I was wondering about Rummy-nose Tetras. Could I fit a good school of about a dozen of them (I noticed on the profile here it recommended I have at least that many, right?) How close to full stocking would that be? I want to make sure I don't get too close to a full tank, I like a little wiggle room with bio-load.

Alternately, I really like the look of Neon Tetras, but I'm also really confused about them. All the care sheets and books and magazine articles I find on them list them as very peaceful. However, on some forums they have a terrible reputation - as bullies and fin nippers, and as having 1 bullly bothering everyone else in their school. Are these issues because they are being kept in tanks too small or schools too small, or are these actual issues with the fish's temperament? Is there a likelihood that these issues would occur if I had a school of 10-15 (if I had room in the stocking) in a 75 gallon aquarium?