Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   severumXconvict cross? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/severumxconvict-cross-123075/)

indianafishman 12-19-2012 01:33 AM

severumXconvict cross?

Whats up fsh ppl i have recently bought a 6in green severum from my lfs and i have a couple corcerns i looked at a ton of pictures of green severum and he looks similiar but he has hardly no bright green colors just a light tan color with solid black vertical stripes and the fish is really agressive at times, i have also read that severum were peaceful fish and can be kept with rainbow fish witch i researched before i got the fish, i was just wondering if anybody knows any distincive characters/colors of a green severum it would be greatly appreciated

Shewbert 12-19-2012 02:46 AM

What size tank do you have?
Even though the Green Severum is one of the least agressive it still needs to be housed with other semi agressive fish.
Cychlids requires a 30 gallon or larger tank that is at least 40 inches long and 20 inches tall, any smaller than this and they usually get agressive to other fish the same size or smaller, remember this is a Cychlid and is a carnivore, don't worry about the colouration this vastly changes from fish to fish, I have one that is almost gold in colour. Your fish will grow to 8 or 9", if he is agressive now he will only get worse.
If he has a favourite cave/hiding place, move this cave every couple of weeks or at each water change, this seems to make his territorial instincts a bit better, hence make him less agressive.
Hope this helps, any problems just ask
Ray

1077 12-19-2012 04:19 AM

Severum's are for the most part Omnivore's, and for head's up,,they will eat plant;s as they grow larger.
Could be the Fish were mislabled at the fish store, and what you have may indeed be a convict (largely carnivorous)
Severum should be either green, or gold variety, unless you happen upon more rare Rotkeil (not often seen in store's).
Fish could also just need some time for color to return after stress of transport,and acclimation to your tank.
Photo could quickly identify the fish you have.

indianafishman 12-19-2012 11:24 AM

thanks for the input the fish is in a 55 gallon tank with a firemouth cichlid and 8 rainbows with lots of filteration i wonder wondering if i would move my firemouth to a different tank and maybe the severum wont be as aggressive and just wondering do the severum have solid black stripes the fish has the body of the severum and the markings of a convict its a neat looking fish and my water is good cycled well and water change every two weeks so dont think my water would alter his color too bad goin to try to post a pic soon

Shewbert 12-19-2012 04:34 PM

try moving his favourite hiding place first, he has chosen this as his place and is defending it, moving his chosen breeding spot seems to calm this protective behaviour, when he gets protective again move it again, the fish gets calmer and less protective as time goes on.
This method works for a few hypo fish.

indianafishman 12-20-2012 02:06 AM

well i figured out what type of fish it is and im not happy its a zebra tilapia and my lfs almost cost me all my fish almost killed my firemouth and put a good beating on a couple rainbows i kno its partly my fault as well but the body type of the fish is similar to a severum has a tall body luckily my lfs took him back and gave me my 25 bucks back lol thanks for the info tho

Shewbert 12-20-2012 07:02 AM

MMMmmm yes thought there was something fishy going on (sorry bout the pun) looks like he is the culprit, (beautiful fish though) but snappy fellers at times.