Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Cory question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cory-question-122893/)

luke77 12-17-2012 09:10 AM

Cory question

How many Cory's could a 55 gallon tank happily support?

1077 12-17-2012 09:47 AM

I should think a dozen, assuming water is not too hard, or too warm, and depending on other fishes being kept.
Most of the corydoras appreciate softer rather than harder water, and temp's not too much above 76 degree's F.

Thoth 12-17-2012 07:01 PM

It truly depends on the species that you put in it. They have a range from a 1" Corydoras pygmaeus to 4" Scleromystax barbatus. I will assume you are considering the average of 2" per adult fish. I would say around the 15 to 18 range.

I keep 9 in 30" long tank and its a good fit. 5 Corydoras sterbai at ~3" and 4 Corydoras similis at 2"

Since we are talking about Corys in common name terms... anything in the subfamily Corydoradinae is a Cory. :)

Byron 12-19-2012 05:14 PM

This is one of those situations where one could almost never have too many--within reason of course.:nicefish:

There's no indication of upper fish, either species (thinking size) or numbers. So, on just the substrate area aspect, you could easily have 40-50 and they would be in heaven.

Byron.

Thoth 12-20-2012 12:42 PM

Hey Byron, On the Tropical Fish Profile for Corydoras similis, can you label the third picture from the left as Corydoras ourastigman. Tried to edit it but didnt see the option to edit pictures. I noticed the pic was not a similis and was going to message you to remove it but noticed that you referenced it in the article. Also, I tried to message you directly but was unable to send the message... some bb code error.

Byron 12-20-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1356218)
Hey Byron, On the Tropical Fish Profile for Corydoras similis, can you label the third picture from the left as Corydoras ourastigman. Tried to edit it but didnt see the option to edit pictures. I noticed the pic was not a similis and was going to message you to remove it but noticed that you referenced it in the article. Also, I tried to message you directly but was unable to send the message... some bb code error.

I agree the photo is not C. similis, and it is C. ourastigma [without an "n"], but in the first paragraph under Description is does say this. I included the photo to illustrate the close similarity of species.

Does this resolve it, or... ?

Cheers, Byron.

Thoth 12-21-2012 09:05 AM

the n was a miskey... I was just suggesting that the picture be label. I see that it is covered in the article. not a big deal.

Byron 12-21-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1357166)
the n was a miskey... I was just suggesting that the picture be label. I see that it is covered in the article. not a big deal.

I wish we could label photos in the profiles, but we can't, so I have to reference them in the text.