Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Freshwater puffer under 6"? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/freshwater-puffer-under-6-a-122782/)

Adamson 12-16-2012 12:28 AM

Freshwater puffer under 6"?

Are there any freshwater puffers that aren't little pea puffers but won't get bigger than 6"?

I saw some Figure 8 puffers at the lps today and was interested in them, but they require brackish water and that is something I don't see myself doing.

So I am wondering, any freshwater puffers that won't get too big but aren't tiny either?

Thanks in advance.

Boredomb 12-16-2012 01:07 AM

You got the South American Puffer that's 3", Abei Puffer (Monotrete Abei) that's 4" , The Congo Puffer gets to 6", The Bronze Puffer (Auriglobus modestus) gets 4". There are others that are smaller and some that are 2.5-3" as well.

Olympia 12-16-2012 11:15 AM

As well as Tetraodon baileyi and Tetraodon suvattii. Hard to find but they still deserve to make it on the list. :-D

Boredomb 12-16-2012 11:36 AM

Ohh I didn't even think about the Arrowhead Puffer. My favourite one the most and the one that I want one day is a pair of Carinotetraodon salivator. I think they are gorgeous but they only get to 2". Which is fine for me they are still bigger then my Dwarf puffer. LoL

Olympia 12-16-2012 01:17 PM

Carinotetraodon lorteti is my favourite from that group. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 12-16-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1350876)
Carinotetraodon lorteti is my favourite from that group. :-D
Posted via Mobile Device

Those are pretty too! Gotta love the red eyes! I honesty think Puffers are so unique! They have some much personality!

Canadian Fish 12-16-2012 02:59 PM

Amazon Puffers! (Colomesus asellus) They are also some of the friendliest of freshwater puffers and can be kept with some community fish. They are voracious eaters and are way easier to take care of than my pea puffers (which are in another tank)

They get to around 5" long. I have added a lot of plants to this tank since making this video.

Boredomb 12-16-2012 04:03 PM

Hey Canadian Amazon and South American Puffers are the same fish just different common names. Great fish and nice tank!
Posted via Mobile Device

Canadian Fish 12-16-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1351013)
Hey Canadian Amazon and South American Puffers are the same fish just different common names. Great fish and nice tank!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I have added many plants and it looks better now, even with that hideous substrate.

This is one of my fav tanks now. The Red Tailed Shark used to spend all day hovering under the driftwood, now that the puffers are in there, he swims around patrolling his territory. At feeding time he eats the bloodworms the puffers miss. The puffers get so aggressive when they feed, lol, they're hilarious. They frequently tug of war over the same bloodworm.

Adamson 12-17-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Fish (Post 1350951)
Amazon Puffers! (Colomesus asellus) They are also some of the friendliest of freshwater puffers and can be kept with some community fish. They are voracious eaters and are way easier to take care of than my pea puffers (which are in another tank)

Amazon Puffers! - YouTube

They get to around 5" long. I have added a lot of plants to this tank since making this video.

Nice, yeah I was thinking a South American Puffer. Are the plants you have in there real? I would think it would be hard to keep them alive with those air stones going..