Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   feeding the pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/feeding-pleco-122780/)

dorabaker 12-15-2012 10:39 PM

feeding the pleco

So I got a baby bristlenose pleco a few days ago and now I'm getting worried about feeding it. It's very shy (which seems to be normal for plecos) and won't come out while I'm watching, although I HAVE caught it sitting at the front of the tank when I've been away for a while ;-) It goes and hides as soon as it senses my presence though.
Anyway, I've seen it eating algae and I thought I'd try feeding it some cucumber. I put the cucumber on a stick and placed it near where the pleco was, but I've left it there overnight and Pleco still hasn't found it. I'm probably getting prematurely anxious, but I don't want the poor little fish to starve. Should I get some algae wafers? I meant to get some when I was at the LFS but totally forgot!

Shewbert 12-16-2012 05:04 AM

He will be ok through time, there is plenty of food he will find around the tank.
If he is new to the tank, he will be getting used to the enviornment, fish already in there etc.
Give him time to settle.
My Pleco's are only given cucumber maybe once every week, feed him too much and he will not clean up all of the uneaten food and algae from the tank.
He will get used to the great big person on the other side of the glass and show himself a bit more.
Hope this helps
Ray

GwenInNM 12-16-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 1350358)
So I got a baby bristlenose pleco a few days ago and now I'm getting worried about feeding it. It's very shy (which seems to be normal for plecos) and won't come out while I'm watching, although I HAVE caught it sitting at the front of the tank when I've been away for a while ;-) It goes and hides as soon as it senses my presence though.
Anyway, I've seen it eating algae and I thought I'd try feeding it some cucumber. I put the cucumber on a stick and placed it near where the pleco was, but I've left it there overnight and Pleco still hasn't found it. I'm probably getting prematurely anxious, but I don't want the poor little fish to starve. Should I get some algae wafers? I meant to get some when I was at the LFS but totally forgot!

I totally agree with the other post, but as an FYI, when he does settle, here's what mine loves. Mine loves cucumber, but even more loves romaine lettuce. Get a clip that you can attach a piece of lettuce to the glass, and they go crazy for it! :-D

Gwen

willow 12-16-2012 03:36 PM

hi
have you got any wood in there ? he'll need it for digestive system.
(sorry if you have this already)
mine liked catfish pellets,along with anything else that floated to the bottom,
one of mine stayed shy from the moment he was bought to the day he left home.
he'll find stuff don't worry. :-)

dorabaker 12-16-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 1351049)
hi
have you got any wood in there ? he'll need it for digestive system.
(sorry if you have this already)
mine liked catfish pellets,along with anything else that floated to the bottom,
one of mine stayed shy from the moment he was bought to the day he left home.
he'll find stuff don't worry. :-)

Thanks for the reassurance :) I do have two pieces of wood in there, but they were both collected by me (many years ago, so they are starting to disintegrate now if you poke them) and I'm a little concerned that they might be dangerous. I've been discussing this on another thread. I've used them in tanks for ages without the fish seeming to suffer any ill effects but a fish actually eating it is a different matter! what do you think? I boiled them thoroughly when I first got them and have done so each time I've moved them to a new tank.

willow 12-17-2012 03:13 AM

hmm well because they are disintegrating i question what type of wood they are ?
me personally...i'd buy a bit from the aquatic shop,that's all i've ever used.
so he can happily munch and hide at the same time :lol:

Tikibirds 12-17-2012 03:54 AM

Bristlenose Pleco Diet

Omnivorous, but mainly vegetarian. Prepared sinking foods (algae, spirulina, kelp-type wafers, disks, tablets), fresh vegetables (cucumber, zucchini, blanched spinach), frozen bloodworms and daphnia, live worms.

Read more: Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.) Profile

Do they need wood? I though that was only certain plecos that needed it in their diet - like clowns?

dorabaker 12-17-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 1351868)
hmm well because they are disintegrating i question what type of wood they are ?
me personally...i'd buy a bit from the aquatic shop,that's all i've ever used.
so he can happily munch and hide at the same time :lol:

it's not 'bogwood', just ordinary....wood. I think one of the pieces is from a tree root or something. They were just nice looking pieces of wood which I found on my country property many years ago. Any wood that hasn't been 'preserved' the way bogwood has will disintegrate after being submerged in water for a long time, it just goes soggy.

Unfortunately I can't replace the wood with store-bought bogwood (which by the way is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE) without completely uprooting the whole tank, because all my java fern plants have anchored themselves to it. If I tried to change anything I'd probably have to completely clean the tank out and start over, which I obviously don't want to do!

willow 12-18-2012 03:10 AM

i wouldn't want to do that either,:shock:
perhaps just hide a small bit then,as it is very expensive,unless you're lucky
enough to find some on craigs list perhaps. :-D