Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Can anoyone tell me what is on my Ballon Angel ram's forehead? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/can-anoyone-tell-me-what-my-122647/)

Bluydgrl 12-14-2012 08:10 AM

Can anoyone tell me what is on my Ballon Angel ram's forehead?

3 Attachment(s)
I noticed this spot on my Ram's forehead this morning.Looks like there are some little spots around it also.Doesn't look like Ich though.
All my other Ram's and fish are ok.Water is where it should be.Ram's have never colored back up like there were at the lfs.Don't know why:(I have had them for close to 3 months but this one a little over a month now.
Any advice?

Bluydgrl 12-14-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluydgrl (Post 1348257)
I noticed this spot on my Ram's forehead this morning.Looks like there are some little spots around it also.Doesn't look like Ich though.
All my other Ram's and fish are ok.Water is where it should be.Ram's have never colored back up like there were at the lfs.Don't know why:(I have had them for close to 3 months but this one a little over a month now.
Any advice?

I never noticed the green algae on my driftwood until i saw the pic.Blends in.My algae eaters aren't doing there job:(

Byron 12-14-2012 09:59 AM

I can't say definitively what it is, and I would never guess at disease with other people's fish, but I think I may have seen similar. Until (if) you find someone who can nail this down, keep a close eye to see if any other fish develop similar. And I would be careful not to spread this to other tanks (if you have any) as it may or may not be contagious.

Byron.

Bluydgrl 12-14-2012 10:28 AM

Ok..I won't ..thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

jeaninel 12-14-2012 12:00 PM

This is just my observation, but it looks to me like he bumped or scraped his head and there's a bit of a fungal/bacterial thing going on. Keep the water clean and keep an eye on it. It may clear up on its own but if it continues to get worse you may need to treat it with an antibacterial med.

Bluydgrl 12-14-2012 12:44 PM

Thank you Jeanine...I will do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bluewind 12-14-2012 02:01 PM

Do you have a hospital tank you can put him in? Jeanie might be on to something and you could keep the water cleaner in the finite space and change temp/add meds when needed rather than chasing him down and taking him out if he got bad. Best of luck hun :-)

Also, what kind of algea eaters do you have? My snail does a good job on everything but the heater which she wont go near! They all have their little pickadillos XD
Posted via Mobile Device

JDM 12-14-2012 03:30 PM

It may just be a different kind of algae which your current cleaners don't, and probably never did, eat.

I can't tell from the pics, not quite in focus exactly where the bump is, I've seen a lot of fish that grow similar looking things from wounds... can't recommend a fix though. Is it fuzzy or smooth? The fish I usually saw were much bigger and I was in the water with them... I wanted to just take them and physically clean the fuzzy growth off... but I was never fast enough.

Jeff.