Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water question. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-question-122631/)

marshallsea 12-14-2012 12:08 AM

Water question.

Would my water be considered softer, slightly acidic? Gh-7, Kh-5 and Ph-7.5. I want a group of Lemon Tetras or other easy, small, peaceful schooling fish that would do well in that water.

Thoth 12-14-2012 06:19 AM

I would say you are on the cusp between soft and hard.... slightly hard? This will be no problem for tetras. A pH of 7.5 shouldn't be a problem for Lemons, I have kept them in similar water in the past.

marshallsea 12-14-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1348224)
I would say you are on the cusp between soft and hard.... slightly hard? This will be no problem for tetras. A pH of 7.5 shouldn't be a problem for Lemons, I have kept them in similar water in the past.

Were you happy with the Lemons?

Geomancer 12-14-2012 01:14 PM

7 dGH is still soft, but close. 8 is the transistion to medium-hard water.

Read the profile here on Lemon Tetra. They are fine in water under 20 dGH so you have quite a bit of margin on that.

pH drops as a tank establishes, not a lot unless the KH is really low, but some.

marshallsea 12-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1348502)
7 dGH is still soft, but close. 8 is the transistion to medium-hard water.

Read the profile here on Lemon Tetra. They are fine in water under 20 dGH so you have quite a bit of margin on that.

pH drops as a tank establishes, not a lot unless the KH is really low, but some.

Thanks Geomancer, I read the profile on Lemons but I don't understand acidity or how slightly acidic relates to PH.

Geomancer 12-14-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1348515)
Thanks Geomancer, I read the profile on Lemons but I don't understand acidity or how slightly acidic relates to PH.

Fish show their best colors when they're happy (ie, not stressed). In the profiles that usually means in terms of water quality the middle of the ranges given. In the wild with Amazon fish, the GH is exceptionally low, near zero.

7 dGH is not bad by any means, you can keep most soft water fish without issue in that.

thekoimaiden 12-14-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1348515)

Time for a quick lesson in chemistry! PH is on a scale of 1 to 14; the middle (7) is a neutral pH. Anything below 7 is acidic, and any value above 7 is basic. So a slightly acidic pH is usually one between 6.5 and 7. Acids and bases can be a very complex topic, but that's really all you need to know. Wikipedia has a really in-depth article on it if you're interested.

As for how hard your water is, I'd say it's still on the soft side of things. Soft enough to keep most Amazon fishes without worry at least.

marshallsea 12-14-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1348989)
Time for a quick lesson in chemistry! PH is on a scale of 1 to 14; the middle (7) is a neutral pH. Anything below 7 is acidic, and any value above 7 is basic. So a slightly acidic pH is usually one between 6.5 and 7. Acids and bases can be a very complex topic, but that's really all you need to know. Wikipedia has a really in-depth article on it if you're interested.

As for how hard your water is, I'd say it's still on the soft side of things. Soft enough to keep most Amazon fishes without worry at least.

Thank you, Koimaiden.

Thoth 12-15-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1348290)
Were you happy with the Lemons?

Yes, from what I remember. The yellow color was never as bright as the pictures on the internet but I believe it was because my gravel and tank was very bright.