Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants only tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-only-tank-122567/)

marshallsea 12-13-2012 02:27 PM

Plants only tank.

My tank is becoming over grown with plants and it's time to start removing some of them. I want to put them in a 10g I have. My question is will they live with only Seachems Flourish and no fish. I really want to do this with equipment I have on hand and not buy any thing,(like root tabs). The main plant that needs to be reduced is Wisteria.P.S. My tap water comes with >.5ppm ammonia. Would this feed them if I did a weekly or bi-weekly water change?

Boredomb 12-13-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1347538)
My tank is becoming over grown with plants and it's time to start removing some of them. I want to put them in a 10g I have. My question is will they live with only Seachems Flourish and no fish. I really want to do this with equipment I have on hand and not buy any thing,(like root tabs). The main plant that needs to be reduced is Wisteria.P.S. My tap water comes with >.5ppm ammonia. Would this feed them if I did a weekly or bi-weekly water change?

I would think so since your tab water has ammonia in it. I would certainly try it. Better then just throwing way the trimmings and if it doesn't you haven't wasted any money. Just a little time and effort.

marshallsea 12-13-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1347564)
I would think so since your tab water has ammonia in it. I would certainly try it. Better then just throwing way the trimmings and if it doesn't you haven't wasted any money. Just a little time and effort.

Thank you.

beaslbob 12-13-2012 03:11 PM

it wouldn't take many fish to keep the plants growing. And you could just use some kind of plastic tub instead of a tank as well. Perhaps some locals can harvest some fish from thier tanks. I did that with live bearers all the time. And the LFS has feeder guppies here for like 3/$1 or so.

or you could even collect some small fish from local streams and lakes.

just a thought.

Worth .02

beaslbob 12-13-2012 03:12 PM

duplicate

fish monger 12-13-2012 04:52 PM

Plants love ammonia, so I would try it with the Flourish Comp and weekly water changes. Water changes for the ammonia and Flourish Comp to balance it out.

Byron 12-13-2012 05:46 PM

This will work, though plant growth will likely be less than in a fish tank. I have a 20g that is my QT for new fish, and I keep it running permanently with plants culled from the other tanks. Right now it has been maybe 3 or 4 months without fish, and previously I have had it running for half a year or more without fish. I dose Flourish Comp 3 times weekly and do regular weekly water changes of 1/3 the tank just to keep it fresh, but I do not use water conditioner as there are no fish and plants will take up the chlorine.

I dose FC three times but that is because all my tanks get the same. I have very soft water and found that I need more than just once or even twice weekly.

I have noticed that the plants remain green and healthy, but they do not grow as fast--less spread on floaters, fewer runners on chain swords, etc.

Remember there is some nitrogen (= ammonium and nitrate) in Flourish Comp. Plus, you would be amazed at the amount of detritus that collects in the substrate even with no fish. I still don't know where it all comes from.:question: Some is undoubtedly plant leaves that have fallen off and not been noticed. And I do have snails in this tank, Malaysian Livebearing and pond.

Byron.

redchigh 12-13-2012 06:32 PM

When my 20L had plants and no fish, I fed the plants fish food (small amounts twice a week).

marshallsea 12-13-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1347849)
When my 20L had plants and no fish, I fed the plants fish food (small amounts twice a week).

That's the solution, thank you.

marshallsea 12-13-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1347801)
This will work, though plant growth will likely be less than in a fish tank. I have a 20g that is my QT for new fish, and I keep it running permanently with plants culled from the other tanks. Right now it has been maybe 3 or 4 months without fish, and previously I have had it running for half a year or more without fish. I dose Flourish Comp 3 times weekly and do regular weekly water changes of 1/3 the tank just to keep it fresh, but I do not use water conditioner as there are no fish and plants will take up the chlorine.

I dose FC three times but that is because all my tanks get the same. I have very soft water and found that I need more than just once or even twice weekly.

I have noticed that the plants remain green and healthy, but they do not grow as fast--less spread on floaters, fewer runners on chain swords, etc.

Remember there is some nitrogen (= ammonium and nitrate) in Flourish Comp. Plus, you would be amazed at the amount of detritus that collects in the substrate even with no fish. I still don't know where it all comes from.:question: Some is undoubtedly plant leaves that have fallen off and not been noticed. And I do have snails in this tank, Malaysian Livebearing and pond.

Byron.

Awesome, I wanted snails in the tank but didn't think there would be food for them. With no water conditioner are the snails not affected by the chlorine? I assume no heater is ok for the plants and snails. The water would never get below about 70f.