Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   my anemone has a cobweb? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/my-anemone-has-cobweb-12253/)

d_spoiler 02-25-2008 06:43 AM

my anemone has a cobweb?

guys i have an anemone that is place on a cave like rock but when it doesnt open its bubble fins i saw cobwebs on his side and on the top of the rock is this normal? btw my anemone is a bubble tip

bettababy 02-25-2008 01:39 PM

Cobwebs? Is it possible that it is the anemone's slime coat shedding off? What size tank is it in? What else is in there with it? What are your water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, & calcium? What kind of lighting is over the tank? What is the water temp? How long has the tank been set up? What is spg/salinity?

In order to help we'll need answers to those questions and anything else you can tell us about your tank and your anemone.

d_spoiler 02-25-2008 11:06 PM

evrything are all normal.. the light i think is the problem. cuz got only 8 watts, but i put a desktop to increase the lights and the watts of the aquarium. what i this slime or look like cobwebs to me? for what reason it has a cobweb? due to what is this bad for the anemone?

bettababy 02-26-2008 01:55 PM

Hi everyone.. this member is no longer with us here on ff, but I would like to finish answering these questions for the benefit of everyone else here. There are some good lessons to be learned here, and lots of useful information.

I want to make clear to all that this situation in this aquarium, is slowly going downhill, which is something that was warned against a little while back in another thread. The tank size involved here is a biocube 8, which means about 6.25 gallons of water (not including the water displaced by rock and sand). This tank is horribly overpopulated, containing 2 bubble tip anemones, 4 clownfish of different species, hermit crabs (no idea how many) and 5 different corals at last count.

The "cobweb" that is asked about, is actually slime coating from the anemone sloughing off. There are a number of things I would expect in this tank that would cause this. Too many incompatible corals too close together, poor water quality (there is no way to keep water quality in good condition in such a situation, and is why I suspected he always refused to post his water params when they were asked for), lack of proper spectrum of light, and improper feeding/lack of feeding.

Unfortunately this tank is headed for disaster, and it sounds as if it has already begun. While I am sad for these animals, I am hoping that by finishing the answers in this thread it will help to save others in the future.

Happy Fish Keeping Everyone!