Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 gal Stocking Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gal-stocking-question-122386/)

Bluewind 12-11-2012 10:06 AM

10 gal Stocking Question

I have a 10gal glass tank with an Anubias, 2 apendgon (spelling?), and a marimo ball. It is tropical and has a Tetra Whisper 10-30 gal filter. I have 1 male betta (VERY gentle), 3 neons, and 1 mystory snail. I have soft water with 7.2pH and pfs substrate. I want to know what I can add to this mix. I am VERY interested in bottom feeders and would be willing the change my substrate if need be. I lost some of my fish due to an agressive fish, so I wont be getting new fish until next month. Thank you for your help :-D

Edit: The agressive fish has been rehomed. I keep a clean tank and do 3x2gal water changes a week. I am posting via mobile device so the profiles are unaccessable. I will be getting 2 more neons. I might get a mate for my snail as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

lakemalawifish 12-11-2012 10:20 AM

You may want to consider Corydoras, they prefer groups of at least 6 and usually don't get over 2" long (I have seen a few larger than 2") so if you get 6 your tank will be maxed out with the fish you have, and if the Cory's get much bigger, you may need a larger tank. Guess you could have 4 if space in your tank is an issue, not sure how planted it is, etc. In our experience it was best to add all of them at once, this is what happened. We had 1 Panda Cory, went and bought him some buddies, got 4 Emerald ones because could not find another panda. The Panda and Emeralds never became friends, they were not enemies, just did not hang together like I thought they would. I say this in past tense only because we re-homed all of our community fish and started getting Africans. I love the Cory's they are so full of energy and fun to watch, never a dull moment in the tank! Sand is better for them and they are real sensitive to nitrates, it can harm their barbells, also a dirty tank substrate is not good for them. Hope this helps some :)

Bluewind 12-11-2012 10:33 AM

Julii was one of the fish I lost. They are very sweet and fun. I worry about the burden that many fish would put on my tank though. 4 Cory Cats, 5 neons, 1 Betta, and 1 mystory snail. That would also mean not getting a mate for Magic (snail), but I do love Corys! I'm torn :-/

Are loaches a bad option with my snail? Like 3 Kuliis?
Posted via Mobile Device

lakemalawifish 12-11-2012 01:20 PM

Well Kuhli's are nocturnal so you probably won't see them much and they get 3-5", they do not create much bio-load but I think a larger tank would be better for those guys. I really can't think of a better bottom feeder than a Cory, everything else that comes to mind get too big for your 10g. You could try a few Otocinclus Catfish, they are small. Or maybe Apple Snails? Maybe just 3 Cory's... not sure how many Oto's?? Sorry but I am just drawing a blank beyond this...

Bluewind 12-11-2012 02:14 PM

It's fine! I love brainstorming :-D

I do have my little mystory snail and I was hoping to get her a mate...

My friend has loaches and the are fun little guys! She has gloden though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I might go with the Corys. Are there any other species that you would reccomend that are mid, top level, or full tank swimmers? I might go that rout.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bluewind 12-11-2012 05:30 PM

I love Cory Cats, but I'm hesitant (after what happen to my little Julii) and I worry if I am the best keeper for the wonderful little guys. He was such a great fish though and I loved having him in my tank. :'(

If I go for Cory Cats, which one should I get?!? There are so many types and I want something that can life a nice happy life in my tank. False Juliis, Green, Emerald, Peppered, and Albino are the most readily available. Or maybe I should get something similar like Otos? :-/

I love Loaches, but they eat snails (have one already) and shrimp. Maybe I can get my Mystery Snail a mate? Or maybe more shrimp? I did enjoy my little Ghost Shrimp :-D

I thought about a mid level, surface, or full tank swimmer, but my mid level is kind of full atm, so I don't think that would work.

Any thoughts?

lakemalawifish 12-11-2012 05:44 PM

Did you have your Ghost Shrimp in the same tank with the Betta? I don't know much about shrimp but have seen them and they are very cool! I don't know which Cory's they are all cute to me, we had Panda, Emerald and Julii. But, if you are thinking Cory's might be a bit crowded, then maybe the shrimp would be better. Do the shrimp keep the bottom of the tank clean?

Bluewind 12-11-2012 06:30 PM

I did in fact! Gus is such a sweet little boy. He wouldn't hurt a fly!

They were good little scavengers and grabbed all the loose food that the others missed. Funny too!

I was thinking 5 Neons, 1 Betta, 1-2 snails, and 4 Corys or 5+ Neons, 1 Betta, 2 snails, and 10 shrimp.
Posted via Mobile Device

lakemalawifish 12-11-2012 07:17 PM

Awww... that does sound like a fun tank to watch! You sound really fond of the shrimp, maybe that would be your best bet! At least size wise you won't have much worry :) The only thing about Cory's is... well ours were quite hyper, not sure if that is normal for them but my hubby said they made him kinda nervous to watch LOL but I loved their busy little personalities :) and they were great cleaner uppers