Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking With Pygmy Cory? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-pygmy-cory-122313/)

emeraldsky 12-10-2012 02:37 PM

Stocking With Pygmy Cory?

Over the weekend, I moved my pygmy cories into my 8 gallon bowfront. They were in my 20 long but it didnt seem like they were able to find each other and they just moped in corners. I dont think they were getting enough food either as my danios are voracious :lol:

The tank is planted with a rather large anubias, a large type of sag that I cant remember the name of, a crypt and several strands of hornwort. When I get home tonight, the top will be covered in dwarf water lettuce and some more hornwort, possibly hygrophila if it starts to perk up in my other tank. There are 2 pieces of manzanita in there and the bottom is as bare as I could make it since I wanted them to have swimming room. I also use substrate from my other cycled tank so the it should be cycled I'm assuming...

They seem a lot happier now, they havent stopped moving and I can see now why people like them so much!

Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to have another fish in there for a splash of color? Probably something that can be by itself as I dont think I have room for another school in there. I was thinking of a betta, but I already have one right now so maybe something different if there is something that would fit. Possibly a honey gourami? Ive always liked those.

As a note, i will not be torn up about just having the pygmies in there, they are rather nifty

emeraldsky 12-10-2012 03:45 PM

Oh, i would also be open to suggestions of inverts and such.

I already have 2 dedicated shrimp tanks, though Im having problems finding other shrimp besides snowball and cherry besides ghost....

Byron 12-10-2012 08:58 PM

Water parameters (GH and pH) are not mentioned, and that will affect any additions. Shrimp tend to need medium hard water for the calcium, and this is contrary to the corys who prefer soft water. There are some lovely and colourful soft water fish that would work in an 8g tank. The Boraras species of rasbora comes to mind; I had a group of 11 of these (Boraras maculatus) in with a group of 9 C. pygmaeus in a 10g and they were fine. The Boraras species are all bright red in colour.

If you want to stay in SA, Ember Tetra is similar; a group of 7 here.

I would not have any fish larger than the small types mentioned. Last point, keep the temp below 77F, around 75F is best for the pygmy cory.

Byron.

emeraldsky 12-11-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1344496)
Water parameters (GH and pH) are not mentioned, and that will affect any additions. Shrimp tend to need medium hard water for the calcium, and this is contrary to the corys who prefer soft water. There are some lovely and colourful soft water fish that would work in an 8g tank. The Boraras species of rasbora comes to mind; I had a group of 11 of these (Boraras maculatus) in with a group of 9 C. pygmaeus in a 10g and they were fine. The Boraras species are all bright red in colour.

If you want to stay in SA, Ember Tetra is similar; a group of 7 here.

I would not have any fish larger than the small types mentioned. Last point, keep the temp below 77F, around 75F is best for the pygmy cory.

Byron.

Ive tried finding the parameters for where I live and I can't seem to find them,
This was what I was able to find:
http://cityofescalon.org/e-documents...e%20Report.pdf

Will that help?
Im not sure what information to look at to find the correct numbers.

I actually already have a school of 8 ember tetras in one of my other tanks, I really like them! I think I would prefer a solitary fish over a school I think though, this tank doesnt seem big enough for me to put in another 7-8 fish.

If anything, Id prefer bumping up the cory school a couple more fish instead of adding another school

Byron 12-11-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1345188)
Ive tried finding the parameters for where I live and I can't seem to find them,
This was what I was able to find:
http://cityofescalon.org/e-documents...e%20Report.pdf

Will that help?
Im not sure what information to look at to find the correct numbers.

I actually already have a school of 8 ember tetras in one of my other tanks, I really like them! I think I would prefer a solitary fish over a school I think though, this tank doesnt seem big enough for me to put in another 7-8 fish.

If anything, Id prefer bumping up the cory school a couple more fish instead of adding another school

On the GH, the data gives the range as 61.2 to 204 ppm, with "level detected" at 109ppm. This equates to between 3.4 dGH and 11 dGH. The lower is very soft, the upper is medium hard. I wouldn't worry about this for the fish being discussed.

Something I did spot though is the nitrate, ranging from 16 to 43ppm. This has to be addressed for water changes, and this is too high for these fish long-term. We can discuss this if you ask.

On the fish, in an 8g the only solitary fish would be a Betta. It might or might not work with the pygmy corys; sometimes substrate fish are left alone, but here we have a cory that spends more time in the upper water than on the substrate. I myself would not add a Betta. The miniature fish will work if you want colour, up to you.

Byron.

emeraldsky 12-11-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1345256)
On the GH, the data gives the range as 61.2 to 204 ppm, with "level detected" at 109ppm. This equates to between 3.4 dGH and 11 dGH. The lower is very soft, the upper is medium hard. I wouldn't worry about this for the fish being discussed.

Something I did spot though is the nitrate, ranging from 16 to 43ppm. This has to be addressed for water changes, and this is too high for these fish long-term. We can discuss this if you ask.

On the fish, in an 8g the only solitary fish would be a Betta. It might or might not work with the pygmy corys; sometimes substrate fish are left alone, but here we have a cory that spends more time in the upper water than on the substrate. I myself would not add a Betta. The miniature fish will work if you want colour, up to you.

Byron.

Thank you Byron,
I appreciate you deciphering that for me.

I would also appreciate you delving into the nirates issue, I wasnt aware that there were some in my city water. I'll have to do a test on it when I get home and see how bad it is specifically for me.

Hmm still iffy on the betta since Ive had ornery ones myself.
I may just switch over the ember tetras for now and see how it goes, my 20g is overstocked so this would alleviate some of the strain on it.

Byron 12-11-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1345381)
Thank you Byron,

I would also appreciate you delving into the nirates issue, I wasnt aware that there were some in my city water. I'll have to do a test on it when I get home and see how bad it is specifically for me.

I may just switch over the ember tetras for now and see how it goes, my 20g is overstocked so this would alleviate some of the strain on it.

You'rer welcome.

Test nitrate at home, good idea, and we can continue when we know your reading. Remember with the API liqjuid kit (if you have this, most of us seem to) to shake Regent #2 for a good 2 minutes or the reading may be inaccurate. B.

Bluydgrl 12-11-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1345381)
Thank you Byron,

I have 3 Pigmy Cory's in with 2 dwarf frogs,Betta,3 Male Endler Livebears,in my 6 gallon long.They all get along great