Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Compatibility -Rummy Nose (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/compatibility-rummy-nose-122266/)

djrodan 12-09-2012 07:49 PM

Compatibility -Rummy Nose

I was thinking about adding a school of rummy nose tetras to my 55gal South American tank. How would they do? I see that they are a fairly busy fish, and I'm not sure if my angel pair would be too cool with that.

Stocked currently:

2 Angels - about half dollar size, may e a little bigger
4 GBR
6 pristella tetra
4 hatchets
3 baby marble hatchets
9 corydoras
2 shrimp
bn pleco

The pristellas use to be fun to watch but now they are larger and less active. Would rummy nose be too rambunctious for the angels or could they be a nice entertaining edition to the tank?
Posted via Mobile Device

lakemalawifish 12-09-2012 07:57 PM

I have zero knowledge of Angel's and what's compatible with them, but have kept many True Rummynose Tetra's and LOVE them. Ours were in with some mixed community fish and it's hard for me to describe but the best way I can say it is they seem smarter than other small tetra's. Or maybe not smarter but they did explore around more while the other tetra's kinda found one area they liked and hung out there, our Pristella's are the same way, they explore around. This is just a guess but if your Angel's are ok with the Pritella's they will probably be ok with the Rummynose.

Geomancer 12-10-2012 06:57 AM

They should do okay, although they do best in numbers of at least 10. Not sure you have the space for that.

I would increase your hatchet fish schools though, they should have at least 6 of their own species.

Are those angels an actual mated pair? Or did you just buy two? If you just got two... you'll likely need to get at least 2 more of the same size. They are a schooling fish and males are semi-aggressive to other angels. For a pair to form, the male must choose the female it can't be forced, and with Angelfish it is near impossible to tell their sex except when spawning. When not kept in a school or mated pair, it is not uncommon for them to turn nasty when they get older.

Byron 12-10-2012 08:25 PM

Generally speaking, linear tetra (like rummys) should not be put in with angelfish as they may well be eaten, or attempted. Now, I realize the angels are small, but they will be 6 inches one day, and the rummys will still be around an inch or slightly more. I wouldn't.

Also, the activity is important to consider. I have a group (22) of Hemigrammus bleheri and Petitella georgiae in my 115g. I have had H. bleheri on their own previously and for several years. Both of these are active swimmers, though not rambunctious. But more active than should be in with angelfish or discus.

The rummys swim end to end continually, rarely breaking apart. This doesn't bother the Bolivian, the aged grandpa who is now well over 4 years (normal lifespan), nor the other more sedate tetra. I think it is because the swimming is low down, just above the substrate, and regular. And the rummys never go out after another fish, which many active swimming fish will do.

You definitely need to increase the hatchets. You mention 4 "hatchets" and 3 "marble" so I assume the "hatchets" are not marbles. Carnegiella strigata (the Marble) should always be in large groups; 12-15 is best, or more when space permits. This is a species that is highly stressed in low numbers; in their habitat they are found in shoals of hundreds all very close together.

If the other hatchet is the Silver Hatchetfish, the most common larger hatchet, a group of 7-9 will be best.

Byron.

djrodan 12-10-2012 09:04 PM

Thanks for the responses!

My angels are in fact a mated pair! We got lucky and bought 3, and two paired and we removed the third. They lay eggs regularly, but we havent tried to remove the eggs and take it steps further. It's still lots of fun to watch.

You are correct on the hatchets Byron. They are the Silver and Carnegiella strigata. We lost a few of the marble and these 3 are the remaining. I've considered removing them. Our Silvers we have had for a while, 1+ inch, and seem happy and dominate the top of the tank. I will probably increase their school soon because I really do love them!

As far as the rest of the tank, I feel that there is a schooling action missing and I thought the rummy nose would be a fun addition to watch, as long as the Angels say its ok. I've also looked into getting some Diptail Pencilfish (the Eques), but they are hard to find around my area.

Any other suggestions?

Byron 12-11-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrodan (Post 1344589)
Thanks for the responses!

My angels are in fact a mated pair! We got lucky and bought 3, and two paired and we removed the third. They lay eggs regularly, but we havent tried to remove the eggs and take it steps further. It's still lots of fun to watch.

You are correct on the hatchets Byron. They are the Silver and Carnegiella strigata. We lost a few of the marble and these 3 are the remaining. I've considered removing them. Our Silvers we have had for a while, 1+ inch, and seem happy and dominate the top of the tank. I will probably increase their school soon because I really do love them!

As far as the rest of the tank, I feel that there is a schooling action missing and I thought the rummy nose would be a fun addition to watch, as long as the Angels say its ok. I've also looked into getting some Diptail Pencilfish (the Eques), but they are hard to find around my area.

Any other suggestions?

Nannostomus species might suffer the same fate since they are linear. Better options with angelfish are the disk-shaped characins such as the Rosy clade in Hyphessobrycon [just avoid the possible nippers which some of these are, check the profiles, do a search by scientific name Hyphessobrycon], or Hemigrammus pulcher, Moenkhausia pittieri, and similar. Stay with the sedate species.