Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Surprise Baby Guppies! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/surprise-baby-guppies-122168/)

babystarz 12-08-2012 04:41 PM

Surprise Baby Guppies!

I bought a pack of young guppies from a breeder a couple of months ago because the 9 gallon tank in my living room was a little uninteresting with just a lone betta in there, and people kept asking if there were actually fish in it.

Now, I know a lot about betta fry because I breed them, but silly me totally forgot to look up anything about guppy reproduction. I assumed they would take several months to mature anyway. Well, they're mature XD I was looking at the tank a couple of days ago, and to my shock, there were tiny fish in there! I quickly looked up some info on guppy fry care, realized the babies were in danger of being eaten, and removed the adults to another tank.

There are 3 fry and they're all healthy and active. I'm sure there were many more, but these are the only ones that managed to evade being eaten. I've been feeding them frozen BBS, flakes crushed to powder, and Golden Pearls. They've grown a lot even in the last few days. I estimate they're about a week old or so.

Should I be feeding them anything else? Any other important care instructions for me?

I know I have another pregnant female guppy and I will be watching her closely so I can move her to the fry tank when she's getting close to giving birth.

Also, what are the best brands of guppy flakes? I've just been using the ones from the breeder but I will run out sometime in the next month.

And finally, if anyone thinks they might like a pack of lemon yellow leopard lyre tail guppies in the next few months, please let me know. I will need to find homes for the babies and I will offer them to anyone here for free as long as you pay shipping + cost of heat pack.

cpwebsite 12-08-2012 10:34 PM

-I've raised over 200 guppy babies and their pretty easy to raise:)

Should I be feeding them anything else? Any other important care instructions for me?
I fed mine Hikari First Bites too. Make sure to keep them warm, and try to separate them because they mature quickly and if they get pregnant to quickly the female will die giving birth (separate at around 1month old).

I know I have another pregnant female Guppy and I will be watching her closely so I can move her to the fry tank when she's getting close to giving birth.
Good job!

Also, what are the best brands of Guppy flakes?
I feed mine a very large variety of food from Kens Fish.com (10+ food types) + (2 wafers)... I bought them all and mixed them into a container and then feed them 1-2 times a day to get them their variety. They love it and eat every bit, and whenever I move up to the tank they swim up to me, even if I just walk by or enter the room.

I don't know the food names off the top of my head but i could look it up if you wanted.

Lastly, guppies should be around 3-4/10 gallons, so if you plan on raising a bunch of babies then you may want more tanks, however they are fine in smaller tanks (they become fully grown at around 6 months~)

babystarz 12-09-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpwebsite (Post 1342331)
-I've raised over 200 guppy babies and their pretty easy to raise:)

I fed mine Hikari First Bites too. Make sure to keep them warm, and try to separate them because they mature quickly and if they get pregnant to quickly the female will die giving birth (separate at around 1month old).

I know I have another pregnant female Guppy and I will be watching her closely so I can move her to the fry tank when she's getting close to giving birth.
Good job!

Also, what are the best brands of Guppy flakes?
I feed mine a very large variety of food from Kens Fish.com (10+ food types) + (2 wafers)... I bought them all and mixed them into a container and then feed them 1-2 times a day to get them their variety. They love it and eat every bit, and whenever I move up to the tank they swim up to me, even if I just walk by or enter the room.

I don't know the food names off the top of my head but i could look it up if you wanted.

Lastly, guppies should be around 3-4/10 gallons, so if you plan on raising a bunch of babies then you may want more tanks, however they are fine in smaller tanks (they become fully grown at around 6 months~)

Thank you so much for your help! I do have plenty of tanks already set up due to my betta keeping, and I have another empty 10 gallon ready to have plants added to it today for the males to live in. I am planning to keep the adult males and females mostly separate so I can control the breeding to some extent (although I know the females can store sperm!). And the 9 gallon will probably be for older fry eventually, as it's not set up with wee babies in mind. The three in there now are just fine, but now that I'm familiar with their needs I'll be keeping a slightly smaller newborn nursery tank for birthing and really young babies too, with frogbit and mosses.

At what size is it safe to start putting the fry in with the older adults? Should I keep separate tanks for young males and old males, for example?