Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   got my new tank up...need help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/got-my-new-tank-up-need-1221/)

girlofgod 11-05-2006 02:08 PM

got my new tank up...need help

okay...i JUST setup my new 47 gallon column tank...and i am planning to do discus/angels primarily...anyways...i have a few questions.there is water in the tank, and i currently have sand as the substrate and am about to put the heater in. these are my q's:

1. i dont have the filter yet. so should i go ahead and try to establish some bacterial colonies in the new tank by hanging some gravel in a stocking and moving a decoration/media from the filter over? or should i wait until i get the filter plugged up to do that? will it kill the bacteria if the filter isnt running?

2. since there isnt a filter plugged in yet, should i wait to treat the water for chlorine/chloramine? or will it still work even without the filter hooked up?

i will ask when i have more q's. thanks in advance!

bri

Amphitrite 11-05-2006 02:42 PM

You should wait until you have the filter in place before adding any established media as it won't survive without the filter.

caferacermike 11-05-2006 02:43 PM

Taking it in small steps? A great idea.

Myself I'd either try to find an old powerhead or an air pump and stone. Get some circulation in there. Not much is needed but oxygenating that water is a good idea. I'd go ahead and put some old media in some of mothers old panty hose or float a filter pad from an existing filter. Bacteria will inhabit all areas of the tank, not just the filter. You will need to dechlorinate the water or any beneficial bacterias will be killed by the chlorines.

Gump 11-05-2006 03:09 PM

I wouldnt have put water in with out the filter but caferacemike's idea is a very good one if you have a powerhead. If not your stagnent water ill become quite gross and a big water change or a few will be needed before fish are added anyway.

girlofgod 11-05-2006 03:59 PM

i will only have the water sitting for a day or so. i didnt think it would become nasty that quick...also, i ddnt really want to run the heater until all the sand had settled, which will prolly take a good day or so. i have an air pump and stone...so i should put that in there? does it make a difference how powerful it is? cuz i think the one i have came with a 1 gallon tank...LOL oh well...thanks guys!

bri

girlofgod 11-05-2006 08:11 PM

ok..so i have a small filter running on the tank right now...and i moved media from my established tank over to the new one and dropped some flake food into the new tank to feed the bacteria. when should i move my platys and danio over to help cycle? wait 24 hours or so? thanks!

bri

girlofgod 11-05-2006 10:47 PM

bump

Lupin 11-05-2006 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlofgod
ok..so i have a small filter running on the tank right now...and i moved media from my established tank over to the new one and dropped some flake food into the new tank to feed the bacteria. when should i move my platys and danio over to help cycle? wait 24 hours or so? thanks!

bri

I don't think it's necessary to wait for 24 hours. Why not use the danios and platies to cycle the tank with instead of using flakes(well, they will eat the flakes anyway :mrgreen: )? Danios and platies will survive the cycling.:)

girlofgod 11-06-2006 08:33 AM

i am just worried about the ph differences between the two tanks...i know to float them as i would if i brought them home from the store...but still....i will try and monitor their behavior. thanks!

bri

crazie.eddie 11-06-2006 12:26 PM

Is there a difference in pH with both tanks? If so, by how much? If it's more than +-1, then there maybe something effecting the pH. If there is a big difference, then floating the bag and adding water slowly into it is the best option, which you already are doing.

Also, since you have sand susbtrate, I would put a pre-filter sponge in the filter intake, to prevent any sand from getting into the filter. Without it, the sand may damage the filter.