Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New aquarium input (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-aquarium-input-122033/)

dakman 12-06-2012 08:37 PM

New aquarium input

hi i'm wondering if this set up for a 30 gallon tank would work and if not, the reason and an alternate recommendation. I'm a newbie so just learning. Thanks for all the help

2 blue rams

3 dwarf goromies

3 cory catfish

1 angelfish

6 neon tetras

8 platys

4 Guppies

2 swordtails

2 molies (optional)

Thoth 12-07-2012 06:39 AM

A few quick things that come to mind with your list of fish...

• The live bearing fish tend to like hard water and the Tetras and rams will want soft water. You should find out what your water sources hardness is and try to select fish that thrive in your tap water. Putting fish that like soft water in hard water will stress them and increase the chance of disease/death
  • The live bearers will crossbreed with funky offspring that may or maynot be viable(able to produce offspring). I am not a fan of crossbreeding but I will leave that up to you.
  • The Angel fish when bigger will eat any fry or fish that are the size of a male guppy or smaller.
  • I would suggest that you get a group of 5 to 6 Corys, smaller groups are timid and will hide.
  • I would not have more than 30 inches of fish in your tank. Use the full grown fish measurement for this calculation. More than this and you will have to do more frequent water changes while frequency of water changes is already the biggest cause of failure of an aquarium.
  • Live plants are your friend and make a healthier tank. Make sure you buy true aquatic plants (usually labeled if its prepacked), pets stores try to sell tropical plants as aquatic. The tropicals will live a short period of time and then die.
Good luck..;-)

Geomancer 12-07-2012 07:26 AM

Hello and welcome, and thanks for starting a new thread, I think you'll get a lot more responses this way.

As I had mentioned to you earlier, reading the profiles for these fish will give you all the information you need to determine what will work with what, and what type of water they need. If you type their name in your posts, they'll be highlighed blue (like you see below) which you can click on to view their profile.

As was already mentioned, live bearers, which are fish who give live birth rather than lay eggs, require hard water. In your list, these are the Guppy, Platy, Common Molly, and Swordtail. All of the other fish on your list are soft water fish. So in general, these fish should not be kept together as they have different water requirements. If your water is in the middle, it's possible to fall into the range of both for some of the fish but the soft water fish really do better (live longer lives) in really soft water and livebearers do best in fairly hard water.

The Blue Ram is a warm water fish, and should be in a tank 80-86 degrees with the middle of that range being best. That is warmer than most fish like. To keep two of these, you must have a male/female mated pair, and they must be a pair when you buy them. You can not expect a male to accept any female, he has to decide.

Dwarf Gourami are similar in that you could only have one male. A sexed pair is best. They also can be aggressive to brightly colored fish.

Scalare Angelfish, which is what you'll find in most pet stores, are a slow sedate fish and should not be kept with anything that's very active. They should not be kept with Gourami. Another note is these are a schooling fish and need a minimum of 4 of them with 5 or 6 being better. A 30 gallon is far too small for four of these fish, they get large. The only way they can work is if you get a mated pair (again, they must already be a mated pair).

As has been mentioned already knowing the hardness of your water (in numbers, 'hard' and 'soft' can mean different things to different people) will dictate what fish you should keep. You can go to your towns water department's website and read the quality report. It is usually included in there. If not, take a sample of water to a pet store and ask them to test it. Be sure to write down the number to share.

dakman 12-07-2012 08:26 AM

How about this

5 angelfish

5 cory catfish

5 cherry barbs

6 neon tetras

4 rummy nose tetras

jose1996 12-07-2012 08:40 AM

sounds too full to me angels get big i heard that u can only fit 2 in a 30g tank idk if its true but they do get big so thats something to think about

dakman 12-07-2012 09:34 AM

thanks for the advice would this work

4 anglefish

3 cory catfish

6 neon Ts

3 cherry barbs

4 rummy nose Ts

Sherry1966 12-07-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakman (Post 1340433)
thanks for the advice would this work

4 anglefish

3 cory catfish

6 neon Ts

3 cherry barbs

4 rummy nose Ts

My advice is no. 30g tank. ONLY 2 angels no other fish, Angels can reach 8+ " They can get huge. OR Eliminate the angels get 3 or 4 more cory's, stick with a tetra tank. There are so many different kinds. They are small and school very nicely in bigger groups.

Thoth 12-07-2012 09:50 AM

I have a 30"x 13" 20 gallon (long) and it has 9 corys and 9 neon tetras. ~32" of fish. Personally, I think this is just right with the amount of fish.

I also have a 30" x 13" 30 gallon and I cant imagine more than 2 angels in a tank this size. I have an angle in a 24" x 13" 20 gallon High and this is not enough room for the one fish.

It sounds like you are wanting angels... I would try to get a mate pair on aquabid.com or from a local fish group.

2 angels, a group of 5 or 6 corys and some other group of 6 fish larger than a neon tetra is what I would put in a 30 gallon. Highly likely too many fish :)

Byron 12-07-2012 10:24 AM

Dakman, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

I agree with what others have suggested. And I would recommend you have a read of our profile on the angelfish as that will explain why what you are proposing is not the best for the fish. Profiles are under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, but to save you time, here is a direct link, click the shaded name: Pterophyllum scalare.

Byron.

marshallsea 12-07-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakman (Post 1340117)
hi i'm wondering if this set up for a 30 gallon tank would work and if not, the reason and an alternate recommendation. I'm a newbie so just learning. Thanks for all the help

2 blue rams

3 dwarf goromies

3 cory catfish

1 angelfish

6 neon tetras

8 platys

4 Guppies

2 swordtails

2 molies (optional)

I would suggest that instead of 2-3-4 of 8 different types of fish, you should do a lot of two different types of fish. I know it's tempting to want a huge mix of fish but the fish will be much happier and more relaxed around their own kind. A big group of cory's on the bottom and a big group of tetras in the middle will give you a happier, more natural and easy to look at tank. IMO, assuming you research your water and your fish's water requirements.