Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New User-Tropical Fish Silver Sharks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-user-tropical-fish-silver-sharks-121933/)

Anniella81 12-05-2012 07:38 PM

New User-Tropical Fish Silver Sharks

Im not sure if this is where you post forgive me 1st time user.
I bought my tank from an auction and it was labeled as a 40ltr tank however I believe that it's much smaller I think it's about 25 to 30ltr tank I went to a aquarium that seemed quite friendly and purchased plants rocks a log food etc I told the man I had a 25 to 30ltr tank and that I wanted a bristle nosed cat fish I asked what would also be good for the tank he directed me to Silver Sharks I was not familiar with them and liked the look of them I bought 2 not realizing at the time that there also known as bala sharks I didn't realize they grow so big and should be in larger groups than two they all seem to get along at the moment but sometimes the silver sharks sort of dart from one end to the other it looks as if there playing follow the leader could they be displaying a mating pattern or an aggressive tendency or just playing I know I have to remove them ASAP for a bigger tank and get a couple more any advice on this would be awesome and advice on what fish would go well with the Bristlenose and not grow to big thanks. Sorry for the epic long thread/post
Posted via Mobile Device

lakemalawifish 12-06-2012 06:43 PM

Hello! Here is a website where you can enter the measurements of your aquarium and find out for sure what size you have. You need to know this so you will know how much dechlor, etc. to use when you do water changes.

Aquarium and Fish Tank Volume Calculator

I hate to have to say this but, if you are willing to take the Bala Sharks back, that would be best for you and them. Here's why... they are not playing chase, the dominant one is after the other to show he's the boss and will literally wear that poor guy out, sometimes to it's death. I would imagine you bought them from a tank of several Bala's, they are schooling fish and need to be with others of their own kind and this lessens the aggression. You are right, they grow very big so you will be faced with this issue either way before very long and have to get a much larger tank, or re-home them.

Once you decide what to do, you have lots of options of fish that will work comfortably with your bristlenose pleco and the size tank you have. I advise you to look at websites and decide if you want semi-aggressive or community fish and go from there :)

It is always exciting to start a new tank and you will have lots of fun, be sure to show us pics as you progress!!

Anniella81 12-06-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemalawifish (Post 1339958)
Hello! Here is a website where you can enter the measurements of your aquarium and find out for sure what size you have. You need to know this so you will know how much dechlor, etc. to use when you do water changes.

Aquarium and Fish Tank Volume Calculator

I hate to have to say this but, if you are willing to take the Bala Sharks back, that would be best for you and them. Here's why... they are not playing chase, the dominant one is after the other to show he's the boss and will literally wear that poor guy out, sometimes to it's death. I would imagine you bought them from a tank of several Bala's, they are schooling fish and need to be with others of their own kind and this lessens the aggression. You are right, they grow very big so you will be faced with this issue either way before very long and have to get a much larger tank, or re-home them.

Once you decide what to do, you have lots of options of fish that will work comfortably with your bristlenose pleco and the size tank you have. I advise you to look at websites and decide if you want semi-aggressive or community fish and go from there :)

It is always exciting to start a new tank and you will have lots of fun, be sure to show us pics as you progress!!

I Totaly agree with you & I'm intending to take them back I don't care if they won't swap or refund the money as I love them enough to do the right thing the tank is not sufficient size to house a larger amount ie 5 or 6 more.
I cant thankyou enough for the advice I love them so much but when I get a much larger tank I will have a heap of them swimming around also theve started in the last day 24 hours to kiss the side of the tank witch from what I've read is a sign of great stress due to not having a larger tank and being in a group it's time to take them back and let them go.
Posted via Mobile Device