Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   what do i do in an ich outbreak? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/what-do-i-do-ich-outbreak-12193/)

kevinoh33 02-23-2008 08:23 PM

itching and scratching help

my blood parrot sometimes scratches himself on the gravel.

he is the only one doing this as far as im aware of. sometimes he gets these spasms. he starts to zig zag in place and then sometimes darts around the tank even when there is no chlorine present. my other fish doesn't get spasms. what should i do?

kevinoh33 02-23-2008 08:51 PM

what do i do in an ich outbreak?

i have 4 SMALL tiger barbs, 1 turquoise severum, 1 blood parrot and one small pleco. what do i do if an ich outbreak occcurs. i also have a heater from, but it is auto set to 78 degrees. do i need to get another heater to raise the temp.? i have aquarium salt from API. do i give the same dosage to all my fish? do i also give the same dosage of the medication to all my fish?

dallops_of_polyps 02-23-2008 09:10 PM

probably just has some parsite or microscopic thing on him.

kevinoh33 02-23-2008 09:24 PM

will it go away?

fish_4_all 02-24-2008 02:00 AM

The temperature increase hastens the life cycle of the ich. Basically it makes them go though the cycles of their life faster in warmer temps. This allows the salt to kill the more vulnerable stages of ich and then it does off because it can no longer reach adult and attack your fish. If you want to do both then you will need to get another heater to increase the temperature to 84-86F.

kevinoh33 02-24-2008 07:46 AM

do i need to use medication? if so will i use the same dosage for all my fish? will i need to use the same dosage for salt too?

Flashygrrl 02-24-2008 10:02 AM

Most meds dose per gallon or gallons (ex: 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons or something like that) as it's kind of impossible to just treat one fish in your tank, thus the reason why most people keep a small 10 gallon QT or hospital tank running since it's easier to treat just the sick fish and you use less of your meds. Obviously if pretty much all your fish have it it's just better to treat the whole tank.

Holly 02-24-2008 02:41 PM

Ick is nasty stuff and not only does it attach to the fish but it can be free swimming for a short period of time, like a day. I would treat the whole tank if 2 out of 5 have noticeable signs. I've seen Ick get out of hand and it's not fun or pretty. I'm sure others will tell you to only treat the sick fish but I've tried that before and it never seems to work. Good luck

Holly 02-24-2008 02:45 PM

I take back my other comment about treating the tank. Definatly use the heat/salt method first. Bring the tank up to about 82

herefishy 02-24-2008 02:47 PM

Flashing, when a fish rubs himself on the gravel, decorations or plants, is normal. Many scientists and master fishkeepers cannot answer the question as to why fish display this behavior.

Ich is a parasite. Part of its life cycle is to attach itself to a fish. I do believe that it is always present in a tank. It does have very specific needs. Temperature is one. By maintaining your tank at the upper temperature levels required by your fish, you prevent the ich from having the needed element to hatch and attach to your fish. I have found this to be very effective.Keeping your fish healthy is also key.

Do not use your medication arbitrarily. Some fish cannot tolerate the medication full strength(example would be some tetras). Some tankmates must be removed when dosing(some inverts). Plants may also suffer when using the medicine. Most importantly, follow the directions precisely.

The bald spot on your severum sounds like missing scales. This could be from attacks by the blood parrot, a very aggessive fish. BP's are not a great community fish.