Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   fish poop (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-poop-121925/)

slojko 12-05-2012 05:57 PM

fish poop

my fish poop a lot. a day after i clean the tank i find some on the surface the next morning. i try not to overfeed them. maybe once or twice a day. some of the fish eat the others poop like they are starving. am i overfeeding? underfeeding? or is this normal?

my roseline shark poops brown with a white stringy substance and the tetras love eating it. so nasty

charlie1881 12-08-2012 12:17 PM

Poop Problem solver

Hey there , I looked at you tank its very nice , but I noticed you dont have any bottom feeders . They are essential for any tank I beleive for this reason .

Look into the types of catfish , there are many I like the upside down cats they are wild to watch they swim upside down such as the name but when eating or what not they stay right side up . You might like the cory those are very popular with most ppl .
But either or any of the family will keep the poop problem under control for you .

I hope this helps , God bless and good luck , Charlie;-)

slojko 12-08-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1881 (Post 1341669)
Hey there , I looked at you tank its very nice , but I noticed you dont have any bottom feeders . They are essential for any tank I beleive for this reason .

Look into the types of catfish , there are many I like the upside down cats they are wild to watch they swim upside down such as the name but when eating or what not they stay right side up . You might like the cory those are very popular with most ppl .
But either or any of the family will keep the poop problem under control for you .

I hope this helps , God bless and good luck , Charlie;-)

hey there i have 5 upside down catfish. thanks for the suggestion!

stetez 12-08-2012 07:24 PM

i agree with charlie get some bottom feeders they will help you maintain the problem

slojko 12-08-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stetez (Post 1342087)
i agree with charlie get some bottom feeders they will help you maintain the problem

Are upsidedown catfish bottom feeders?
Posted via Mobile Device

thekoimaiden 12-08-2012 10:48 PM

Bottom feeders can't survive just on other fish's poops. They need to be target fed. And they will just poop out the poop they eat from the column-swimming fish. So getting bottom feeders will not solve your poop problem. Living things excrete waste.... that's just the way life is. Getting a darker substrate will hide the poop from you if you don't want to see it. But there is no fish that will eat it and make it go away.

To answer your question about overfeeding/underfeeding, I think you're doing just fine. When you see sunken stomachs or swollen stomachs, then you know you need to adjust your feeding schedule.

charlie1881 12-09-2012 02:17 AM

Hey there again , I did forget to mention that you would need to throw in some form of fish food for the cats as well , sorry about that .
You can get numerous diff kinds of pellets and waffers for them at any lfs . Like you read in previous post they cant live on poop alone lol.
So you have the cats ....I would have thought they would keep it pretty clean , but you never can tell I guess, I love the upside downs myself I think they are soooo cool8-) very uniqe . They add a great touch to any tank.
Sorry I couldnt be more help , you might also consider adding a few live plants. If you cant get rid of the poop you can put it to good use :-D . recycle lol.
But seriously God bless and I hope it works out for you
Charlie & Family

Byron 12-09-2012 07:11 PM

The only thing that will actually "eat"in the sense of completely digest fish excrement are snails and of course bacteria. Snails are great for this, as they eat the large bits breaking them down into much smaller bits that the bacteria can more easily handle.

I never see this "poop" but I do have smallish fish, and with the mixed-shade sand and gravel this is invisible.

Byron.

charlie1881 12-10-2012 10:28 AM

poop

hey again , I wanted to apologize for the mis-information / advice .
I have alot of snails in my tank mystery and trumpet an they multiply like rain ! so who knows how many I have in there now..
As well as algae eater & placos & ghost shrimp . So I really didnt know who was gettin rid of it but I do know I never see any. But as with Byron I have smaller fish as well that may help the poop prob. lol
All the same sory for leading you wrong . If you dont have any snails most pet store will gladly give you some to get them out of their system like I said they reproduce alot makes guppies look sterile . And I know thatfrom experiance .So check into getting a few , and they add to the enviroment of your tank as well .
God bless ,
Charlie;-)

slojko 12-10-2012 02:50 PM

dwarf loaches eat snails so i would have to get a really big snail