Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Any ideas on what type of algae eaters i can add? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/any-ideas-what-type-algae-eaters-121901/)

Samuraifishman 12-05-2012 01:41 PM

Any ideas on what type of algae eaters i can add?

I've got a 65 gallon tank with 3 swordtails, 5 platys, 2 angelfish, 9 boesemani rainbowfish and a red tailed black shark....will i be able to add any bottom dwellers? If so, what will be my best option?

Byron 12-05-2012 02:28 PM

With a Red Tailed Shark, other substrate fish should be avoided. Our profile explains this (you know about the profiles? Click the shaded name, or they are all under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page).

Having said that, some "algae eaters" might work, sort of, so the question here is, what algae issue do you have? Most of these fish are very specific as to what algae they eat.

Byron.

Samuraifishman 12-05-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1338651)
With a Red Tailed Shark, other substrate fish should be avoided. Our profile explains this (you know about the profiles? Click the shaded name, or they are all under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page).

Having said that, some "algae eaters" might work, sort of, so the question here is, what algae issue do you have? Most of these fish are very specific as to what algae they eat.

Byron.

Thanks for the info...dont have any algae problem, its just that i would of like to have fish occupying the bottom of my tank seeing that my mid and top levels are occupied already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 12-05-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuraifishman (Post 1338655)
Thanks for the info...dont have any algae problem, its just that i would of like to have fish occupying the bottom of my tank seeing that my mid and top levels are occupied already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gotcha. I wouldn't with the RTS.

Samuraifishman 12-05-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1338669)
Gotcha. I wouldn't with the RTS.

Thanks alot for the help...really appreciate it.
My local fish store told me otherwise, so its good to know there are actually people who know what they talking about. thanks again

lakemalawifish 12-05-2012 02:59 PM

Hey there! I am not an algae scientist, to me it's the green stuff in the tank and all tanks get it. I have never had a problem with our Red Tail Shark and our Bristlenose Plecostomus. And, the cool thing with Bristlenose is they don't get so big, most of them max at around 4", some smaller. Our Bristlenose does an excellent job of cleaning everything in the tank from the rocks, the glass and the airline tubing. I had a standard Pleco's that grew to almost 12" and I had to re-home him to a larger tank because at the time we did not have any big tanks. I had a Siamese Algae eater and it was bothersome to all of the fish in the tank, flipping around all over the place like it was crazy or something. Took it back to the store where I got it. We have since bred our Albino Bristlenose Pleco's and love them! There are so many cool Pleco's to choose from, look around. There is a rare one with blue eyes, not sure what it's called exactly but really cool. We also have a L235 Flat Flyer Pleco in one of our tanks. Here's a pic of him, he's an awesome looking Pleco I think.

[IMG]http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...psa66f8020.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...ps208a6025.jpg

These pics were taken from the internet because I have not been able to get a good photo of ours. I see him out and about quite a bit, even in the daytime, which is pretty unusual for a pleco but not for long enough to get a good pic.

Samuraifishman 12-06-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakemalawifish (Post 1338678)
Hey there! I am not an algae scientist, to me it's the green stuff in the tank and all tanks get it. I have never had a problem with our Red Tail Shark and our Bristlenose Plecostomus. And, the cool thing with Bristlenose is they don't get so big, most of them max at around 4", some smaller. Our Bristlenose does an excellent job of cleaning everything in the tank from the rocks, the glass and the airline tubing. I had a standard Pleco's that grew to almost 12" and I had to re-home him to a larger tank because at the time we did not have any big tanks. I had a Siamese Algae eater and it was bothersome to all of the fish in the tank, flipping around all over the place like it was crazy or something. Took it back to the store where I got it. We have since bred our Albino Bristlenose Pleco's and love them! There are so many cool Pleco's to choose from, look around. There is a rare one with blue eyes, not sure what it's called exactly but really cool. We also have a L235 Flat Flyer Pleco in one of our tanks. Here's a pic of him, he's an awesome looking Pleco I think.

[IMG]http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...psa66f8020.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...ps208a6025.jpg

These pics were taken from the internet because I have not been able to get a good photo of ours. I see him out and about quite a bit, even in the daytime, which is pretty unusual for a pleco but not for long enough to get a good pic.

Thanks for that...absolutely beautiful fish! I'll have a look at them, just cant really rely on my pet shop to get me exactly what i want because they dont seem to know much themselves. But i'll do some research on them, just worried that i might end up with an overcrowding problem though...

1077 12-06-2012 07:16 AM

I concur with what the profiles here,and elsewhere have to say about Red tail Shark's and their temperment's toward's other fishes.May or may not work out as shark mature's.
Believe best bet for success is to provide substantial /suitable ,places for the shark and other possible substrate grazing fishes to retire to if needed.(more than one or two such area's)
I kept a few of these fishes when I was younger, and they were a lot like me,easy going,curious,at times antagonistic.
As the fish matured,,like me,,they became more grouchy,territorial,and sometimes,,,insufferable.
These fish can do well with middlin to large size cichlid's but I would be hesitant to place them/it,in community tank.
The fin's of other fishes along with eye's, will tell the story once shark reaches mature size IME

slojko 12-06-2012 09:22 AM

if you have algae problem Panda Garra eat that stuff all day. and they look so cool, like a little asian fish emperor.

lakemalawifish 12-06-2012 09:43 AM

Never seen a Panda Garra, they are cool! I do not want to give anybody wrong info and I agree with the post above regarding the temperament of fish. All fish keepers need to have an extra 10 gal tank just in case some fish do not get along. And, if not that, watch your fish every day for potential tank aggression and be prepared to re-home or take back a fish that is not working out. Some fish that are not supposed to do well together have worked fine in our tanks, and not so fine in someone else's. Usually the way fish's temperaments are described by the internet experts, is correct and accurate. But, often times, just like anything else, you get contradicting information. Just like this excerpt from Wiki regarding Red Tail Sharks and Clown Loaches schooling together...

"They also should not be introduced to communities containing other shark-like fish.[4][5] Despite this, it is often reported that they do not generally harass loaches, such as Chromobotia macracanthus, and may even exhibit schooling behavior with them."

Red-tailed black shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and in contrast this:

Compatibility/Temperament: Not a general community fish especially for beginners. Very aggressive with its own species (it probably lived in solitude except when breeding) and as it matures is often aggressive with other fish especially those resembling it and those with vertical stripes. Should be kept solitary (one fish per tank) with carefully-selected tankmates like the larger barbs and rasbora. Bottom fish (loaches and most catfish) should not be included with this species.

Read more: Red Tailed Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor ) Profile

You will find contradicting info everywhere with every fish. It is up to the fishkeeper to monitor their tanks. Our 4" Red Tailed Shark was housed with 4-4" Clown Loaches and a 3" Bristlenose Pleco and everyone was fine together. I agree also that as fish mature, so does their attitude and things can change.