Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   What are these Tiny White Dots (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/what-these-tiny-white-dots-121852/)

VerdantGrotto 12-04-2012 09:55 PM

What are these Tiny White Dots

I'm not sure if this is where i need to post this question but i'm speculating that they might be eggs...

I have a piece of driftwood that creates a nice cave where my Cory cats tend to shelter. I noticed yesterday that are a lot of tiny little clusters and sparse white dots all over the piece of driftwood. This driftwood has been in the tank for about six months and it is the only item in the tank that has these dots. When i did a water change this evening i poured the water directly over the driftwood to see if it was just some debris or bubbles and it didn't even budge. I have 3 Bronze Cory Cats (One of them has a very rotund belly) , 3 Otocinclus and 2 elusive Ghost shrimp in this tank as well as a Java Fern and Anubias Barteri

... So do i have Eggs of some type? Should i just let Nature take it's course and see what happens? Or is this something more Sinister?

SeaHorse 12-04-2012 11:10 PM

Sounds like you could have Cory eggs. Can you post a picture? The best way to shoot it is at night so there is no reflection off windows, turn all the lights in the room off, and have just your tank light on.
Hope to see Cory eggs!!

lakemalawifish 12-05-2012 01:14 AM

Could be Cory eggs, but if they start looking fuzzy you need to take them out of the tank.

VerdantGrotto 12-05-2012 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here is a Pic of the driftwood with the dots on it. Hopefully this is enough to confirm what it is or isn't.

I have several Cory Cats and several Otocinclus Cats so i'm thinking it could be either of those. (If it is eggs anyways):-)

@ LakeMalawiFish... So what do you mean by "Fuzzy"? Is this something that could be detrimental to the entire community? How would one tell if it is fuzzy because these things are borderline microscopic. Does the Fuzzy mean it's decaying and developing some kind of fungus or something?

lakemalawifish 12-05-2012 09:35 PM

Hard to tell by the photo, they are tiny for sure. I can only relate to our African Dwarf Frogs that laid eggs on the front glass of the tank. None of the eggs developed the black dot inside and after a few days became fuzzy. So they were unfertilized and became covered with a fungus.

Here is an article about breeding Cory Catfish and what their eggs look like
The Breeding Of Corydoras Catfish - Corydoras - Tropical Fish Forums

and here's an article on breeding Oto's
www.otocinclus.com - Home of the Dwarf Suckermouth Catfishes

I can relate to the sticky description of the eggs, the frog eggs were perfectly round and very sticky. Sorry I can't be of much help here, let us know what you find out.

SeaHorse 12-06-2012 06:51 AM

I've never seen driftwood covered like that. They are so randomly spread out all over every surface... I would have thought eggs would be more concentrated in places. I'm confused.

Geomancer 12-06-2012 10:01 AM

They also do not look unform in size, doesn't look like eggs to me. It most certainly is not Cory eggs (I get those quite often).

SeaHorse 12-06-2012 12:45 PM

When did you add this piece of wood to the tank? How long has the tank been set up? How big is the tank? Where did you get it? And if not from a LFS then did you do any sterilization or preparation before putting it into the tank?

VerdantGrotto 12-06-2012 05:51 PM

The wood was purchased at a fish store in Bolingbrook , IL. I rinsed it thoroughly in the sink and then soaked it in a 5 gallon clean bucket with treated (Water conditioner) tap water. It soaked for 2 days with multiple water changes. I will look into the articles that were posted and see if there are any leads through that. I will post any additional findings as soon as i can. Thanks for all your help guys.

I was hoping they were eggs :-(

I will read the articles first and do some more research but if those leads take me nowhere then I will be removing the wood and cleaning it thoroughly again.

I just thought about it but I also have two Ghost shrimp in the tank as well...

Water has tested fine
Temp is 78 f
It is a small 10 g tank (Getting a 55 for xmas :-D)

VerdantGrotto 12-06-2012 09:08 PM

From an article on succesful Oto's breeding...

"They deposited one or two eggs at a time, scattered about and not in clumps (as corydoras often do)."

Possibly like the photo above I hope.