Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Just ordered my jbj 28g CF-Quad! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/just-ordered-my-jbj-28g-cf-121670/)

Benm1020 12-03-2012 12:28 AM

Just ordered my jbj 28g CF-Quad!

Finally after having freshwater tanks for years, im trying reef so i just bought a jbj 28 , a hydor powerhead, heater, test kit and salt.
Now i need todecide on substrate and live or dry rock. So what would be better crushed coral or sand? And should i get Cured live rock or just get dry rock and cureit?
Thanks just starting out and will make this thread picture heavy [/code]

aussieJJDude 12-03-2012 02:23 AM

I would go for crushed coral with sand or just sand. I would go for the live rock!
I am not an expert on Salt water (i don't have one ATM) but many people go for these two choices.
Hope this helped (and i am correct!)

Reefing Madness 12-03-2012 09:24 AM

I'd go with Live Sand, Crushed Coral, which I currently have, tends to trap debre in it and start causing water issues. The choice of Cured Live Rock or just Live Rock is up to you, Using Cured Live Rock will allow you to have fish in around 3 days time.
Then there is Macro Rock:
MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

RSully 12-03-2012 01:02 PM

I went the live rock way.
Pro's- Your tank cycles very quickly. You can add CUC/Fish within a few days as RM said.
Cons- Your going to get hitch hikers. Good and possible bad. IN my DT, I got lucky. Britle worms, asterina star fish and a brittle starfish of some kind that we've only seen once. But in my QT I've got aptasia (not a good hitch hiker) SO you get what you get.

I've no regrets on going the cured LR route but I'm impatient and didn;t want to wait out the course of waiting for macro rock to cure.

Benm1020 12-03-2012 06:55 PM

Ok so i will go with live sand. With the sand do you still have to wash the sand like you do in freshwater tanks?
I still dont know what to do with the rock. I think i may go 50/50 of each to keep the cost down.
I know its going to take a month or two to cycle so im not really concerned about fish stock yet :)

Reefing Madness 12-03-2012 07:08 PM

Live Sand from the bag, no rinsing, just throw it in the tank. As for the Rock, if you thinking about cost, then just get a 5-10lb piece of LR and the rest Macro Rock or something along thos lines, the LR will seed the tank, no worries.

Benm1020 12-03-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1336556)
Live Sand from the bag, nope rinsing, just throw it in the tank. As for the Rock, if you thinking about cost, then just get a 5-10lb piece of LR and the rest Macro Rock or something along thos lines, the LR will seed the tank, no worries.

Thank you. Haha im so used to washing new sand i would have probably done it.

As for live rock and macro rock where should i order it online and also anyone know of a good lfs in newjersey (monmouth county)

Reefing Madness 12-03-2012 07:34 PM

Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand - Bulk Reef Supply
MarcoRocks Aquarium Products
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...lies.cfm?c=393

bigehugedome 12-04-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1336556)
Live Sand from the bag, no rinsing, just throw it in the tank. As for the Rock, if you thinking about cost, then just get a 5-10lb piece of LR and the rest Macro Rock or something along thos lines, the LR will seed the tank, no worries.

I used almost 50 lbs of Marco Rock for my RSM 130 which is kinda like your tank. You may want to keep that in mind while ordering as ordering 50lbs at once is cheaper than 25lbs now, then going back to order another 25lbs. Plus you would get more diversity in the rock and have some left over for future projects :-D. Not trying to sway you in any direction, just sharing my experiance.

I used another 3lbs of LR to seed the tank which took just over 1 month (your mileage my vary) but I also got a nasty algea hitch hiker so prepare for some bumps in the road, but if you plan ahead and be patient all should work out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benm1020 (Post 1336589)
Thank you. Haha im so used to washing new sand i would have probably done it.

As for live rock and macro rock where should i order it online and also anyone know of a good lfs in newjersey (monmouth county)

I work near trenton and live in Pa but im not exactly sure where you are. There is a Place I like in Deptford called Aquarium Center. They do not have the best SW section ( Very nice in FW) they will have what you need to get started i.e Dry Goods, LR, CUC etc.

In PA there is The Hidden Reef, and Fish Factory and even further in PA is That Fish Place, which will carry just about everything, but alot of planning would be needed to get fish home safely from there judging on distance. Worth a trip either way imho at some point and their dry goods are cheap.

Also what are your plans for source water. RO/DI is highly suggested.

Hope that helps:-P

alexandro 12-04-2012 11:08 AM

Dry Rock

I got 170 lbs of dry rock. My water has been up for a week now and I've added a thin layer of sand on bottom.what must i do WITH THE ROCK BEFORE I PUT IN THE TANK??? Have had alot of freshwater tanks but this my first salt tank. And how long before i add coral and more liverock?