Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mulm (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mulm-121622/)

rjordan390 12-02-2012 05:48 PM

Mulm
 
I guess everyone forgets the original water flow through their setups and the result is over time mulm does collect in filters. pvc and hose's and will slow down the flow a lot.
This has happen to me and after cleaning filter, pvc and hose's, my flow increase close to 100%. So take note of this and include cleaning the above as part of your maintenance on at least a bi-monthly basis. Some may get by on a 3 month basis. If you have never taken apart any spray bars and their connection and pvc and use a cleaning brush, you will be surprised how much mulm is in them.
I have a feeling that most fishkeepers pay attention more to their filters and ignoring the lines and pvc. So take note!

Boredomb 12-05-2012 11:56 AM

Yes this is very true. I take mine apart and clean the lines and spray bar when i notice the flow to start to slow down. When I had my canister running on my 55 i would end up doing that cleaning about once a month.

Bluewind 12-06-2012 12:34 AM

The talk of cleaning my filter confuses me a bit. I have a Tetra Whisper 10-30i. It really has no parts to speak of, so I'm not exactly sure what I need to clean. *blush*
Posted via Mobile Device

rjordan390 12-06-2012 04:54 AM

The post is meant for those who are using vinyl hose, pvc, spraybars and other water carrying equipment. Check your pump diagram for required maintenance.

slojko 12-06-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan390 (Post 1339364)
The post is meant for those who are using vinyl hose, pvc, spraybars and other water carrying equipment. Check your pump diagram for required maintenance.

how do you clean hosing thats like 4 feet? or do you only clean the pvc?

rjordan390 12-06-2012 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To clean vinyl hose, first I remove it and take it outside because it can get messy. At present, I am using a beaded chain and fish it through the hose. The beaded chain already has some hardware attached to it so that I can thread a small piece of handiwipe cloth onto it. (See picture) I then wet the cloth and pull it through the hose. Afterwhich, I run some water through it to flush out any remaining mulm.
But when I get time, I am thinking of using two lengths of pine dowel wood with either a rubber washer or piece of sponge attached to the end of one of the dowels. After the first dowel is pushed in, then the second dowel is used to push it through to the end of the hose.

slojko 12-06-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan390 (Post 1339533)
To clean vinyl hose, first I remove it and take it outside because it can get messy. At present, I am using a beaded chain and fish it through the hose. The beaded chain already has some hardware attached to it so that I can thread a small piece of handiwipe cloth onto it. (See picture) I then wet the cloth and pull it through the hose. Afterwhich, I run some water through it to flush out any remaining mulm.
But when I get time, I am thinking of using two lengths of pine dowel wood with either a rubber washer or piece of sponge attached to the end of one of the dowels. After the first dowel is pushed in, then the second dowel is used to push it through to the end of the hose.

wow thanks for that! im sure i can rig something up that does the same. how often do you clean it like that?

rjordan390 12-06-2012 02:46 PM

I been cleaning my hoses, pvc and other parts about every 4 to 6 weeks. I think that is because I suspect my Rena filstar XP2 was allowing bypass to occur. I have since change my filtration to Marinelands 350 Magnum and nothing is getting pass that filter. I just use their micron cartridge without the sleeve.
While I was in my workshed, I saw short length of electricians "pull wire" and then I knew that it would be better to use that then the beaded chain or using the dowel idea.

Byron 12-07-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewind (Post 1339290)
The talk of cleaning my filter confuses me a bit. I have a Tetra Whisper 10-30i. It really has no parts to speak of, so I'm not exactly sure what I need to clean. *blush*
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not familiar with this filter, so I'll offer some general guidelines. If you have any sponge/pad/floss in the filter, this will likely be removable; rinse it well under the tap in warm water until the water runs fairly clear. Similarly if any other media pack/bag is removable. The filter casing itself can be rinsed too.

As someone noted, how often you do this can vary. Most of us tend to leave it too long I suspect. If you get in the habit of cleaning the filter on a regular basis, say every water change, or every second, or the first water change of each month, etc, it is easier to remember.:-)

The main issue is that for any filter to be efficient, the water must flow through it with little resistance from "mulm." As soon as mulm begins to increase and actually block the water, the water will either slow or find an alternate route around the media. One of my tanks has a Rena XP3 canister, and if I leave it beyond maybe 2 months I see a noticeable lessening of the water flow. This is letting it go too long.

Byron.

slojko 12-08-2012 04:54 PM

just cleaned out my mulm! holy poop was there a lot!i got maybe an OZ out of there


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2