Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Newbie and need some help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/newbie-need-some-help-12162/)

hookedonfishtanks 02-23-2008 03:15 AM

Newbie and need some help

Hi all, this is the best fish forum I have come to find and want to thank all of you for you help.

This is my first tank, I was given a 40gal tall tank, t-5 lights, biowheel penguin 200 filter, stealth heater, note sure of the specs on that.

My sister bought this tank 2 months ago and decided it wasn't for her so I jumped and took it.

In the tank right now is medium sized gravel, a piece of wood that is in the shape of a cave, a colorful rock, medium in size, another piece of wood, it looks like a tube with holes throughout, it's a small piece, two live plants, several fake plants and two more pieces of wood that stand upright that are skinny but tall.

The fish are one angel, (yellow in color) 2 blue rams, 2 scarlet badis, 1 pleco, 2 glo-lite tetras, three male guppies. I was also given 3 rasboa's, they are in a 5gal tank, wanted to know if I could add them or not?

Here are my questions, are these fish okay for this tank? How often to feed and what to feed, right now I am feeding tropical fish flake food twice a day. What can I do to make my fish happier and my tank better.

I have never tested the water, I had no idea that needed to be done and I will go and buy a test kit tomorrow and let you all know what the results are.

Thanks so much in advance for all of your help.

Forgot to mention, the water is slightly brown in color, I had the water tested at a local fish store and they told me the water was soft and was brown from the new piece of wood, everything was where I wanted it to be, I called my sister and she said the same thing, is their anything I can do to make the water more clear or just give it time?

willow 02-23-2008 03:23 AM

hello and welcome,good to have you here,
the wood will stop eventually leaking,it won't hurt your fish,
you could always remove it,and boil it if you wanted.
the test kit is important for you,because you will know exactly the readings,instead of the shop saying"it's fine".
i think the popular one is "API"
:)

Amphitrite 02-23-2008 03:32 AM

Hello there and welcome. As Willow said the wood will eventually stop staining the water, but this can take a while. Regular water changes will help dilute the colour.

For a test kit, I would highly recommend that you get a liquid test kit which tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH. I agree with Willow - the API master test kit is very good.

What sort of pleco is it you have in the tank, do you know?

As for feeding, most people feed either once or twice a day - and a varied diet is important. I feed flakes, algae wafers and bloodworm as an occassional treat.

hookedonfishtanks 02-23-2008 03:34 AM

Thank you both.
Can I find the API test kit at any fish store?
I believe the pleco is an ordinary pleco, if their is such a thing, I see them all the time at the fish store.

willow 02-23-2008 05:22 AM

hi
the API master kit can indeed be bought from any good LFS
(local fish store)
beware the pleco,they have a potential to grow to 2ft. :shock:
depending on what type it is.

hookedonfishtanks 02-23-2008 05:15 PM

Thank you, I am heading to the fish store now, I just got off of work.

Should I rehome the pleco? What is a good bottom feeder to have?

Thanks again for all of your help.

rummynose 02-23-2008 08:56 PM

good bottom feeders are corydoras, if you get a few of the same species they will play together and are very fun to watch!

hookedonfishtanks 02-24-2008 12:54 AM

Just tested my tank with an API master test kit, results are

Ph 7.6-7.8 ( tested twice)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Are these good results?

jeaninel 02-24-2008 02:32 AM

Looks good. Try to keep the nitrates under 40 and even better under 20 by doing weekly water changes.

hookedonfishtanks 02-24-2008 02:36 AM

I am planning on doing a weekly vacuum and water change, is that enough? Also, how often do you change the filter pad?
Thanks again for all your help.