Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   cichlid beginner (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/cichlid-beginner-121598/)

unitednations161 12-02-2012 12:52 PM

cichlid beginner

I want to start a african cichlid tank, because I have hard, alkaline tap water thats perfect for them. I have a 65 gallon tank, My nitrates are high out the tap so plants keep them down. My other tanks are doing fine with high nitrates if they are planted.

I do want yellow labs, what other fish go well with these? and how many fish are normal for a 65 gallon tank? And what decor should be givin to these fish? I understand I can go look all this up, but real world answers help so much more

Tazman 12-02-2012 04:57 PM

Plants are very hit and miss with African Rift Lake Cichlids, hardy ones such as Anubias and Java Fern usually work, but bare in mind the fish will likely sample any plant. Africans being diggers as well, they can easily uproot plants and cause annoyance to you, having to re-root them all the time.

In terms was what you can stock, aim for 12-15 fish Maximum, something to consider along with the yellow labs would be..

Psedutropheus sp Acei, Iodotropheus Sprengerae (Rusty), Red Zebra (Metriclima Estherae) - although note these will cross-breed with the yellow labs, cynotilapia Afra.

You also need sand and rocks in the aquarium as this mimics the natural habitat of Lake Malawi, the lake has very few plants in it, mainly rocks and boulders.

You could also consider adding some bottom dwellers such as BN pleco, Synodontis Multipunctus, these would require driftwood which would also be beneficial to the fish also.

Make sure that you have adequate filtration, at least 10-15 times the tank volume per hour, these are messy fish ad will deteriorate water parameters quick without adequate filtration.

unitednations161 12-02-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1335116)
Plants are very hit and miss with African Rift Lake Cichlids, hardy ones such as Anubias and Java Fern usually work, but bare in mind the fish will likely sample any plant. Africans being diggers as well, they can easily uproot plants and cause annoyance to you, having to re-root them all the time.

In terms was what you can stock, aim for 12-15 fish Maximum, something to consider along with the yellow labs would be..

Psedutropheus sp Acei, Iodotropheus Sprengerae (Rusty), Red Zebra (Metriclima Estherae) - although note these will cross-breed with the yellow labs, cynotilapia Afra.

You also need sand and rocks in the aquarium as this mimics the natural habitat of Lake Malawi, the lake has very few plants in it, mainly rocks and boulders.

You could also consider adding some bottom dwellers such as BN pleco, Synodontis Multipunctus, these would require driftwood which would also be beneficial to the fish also.

Make sure that you have adequate filtration, at least 10-15 times the tank volume per hour, these are messy fish ad will deteriorate water parameters quick without adequate filtration.

Ok thank you so much, another website told me a long tank was better then a deep one, but im limited on space so this will have to do. Just hopefully I can find these fish and they get along lol What about red branded Moori?

Tazman 12-02-2012 08:45 PM

Yes a long tank is way better than a deeper on as it gives more swimming room for the fish and for territory.

No to the Red banded Moori, they are aggressive and in a tank like that will take it over to the point of stressing the other fish out severely.