Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   65 gallon aquarium top plus heater? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/65-gallon-aquarium-top-plus-heater-121593/)

unitednations161 12-02-2012 12:31 PM

65 gallon aquarium top plus heater?
 
I have a 65 gallon aquarium that is 36x18 with a center divider. What would be the best hood to get for this with the best lighting? Also what plants should i get with a African chiclid community tank? and The best heater, in terms of brand and wattage. The air temp in the winter is 62 in house, so I know the normal graph of heaters doesnt work. I have a 100 watt in my 10 gallon during the winter because the 50 watt wouldn't quite get it to 77. My turtle has a 400 watt in his 75 gallon and that seems to work nice. But i do not to fry my fish either. Thanks for all your help!!!

Byron 12-02-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unitednations161 (Post 1334820)
I have a 65 gallon aquarium that is 36x18 with a center divider. What would be the best hood to get for this with the best lighting? Also what plants should i get with a African chiclid community tank? and The best heater, in terms of brand and wattage. The air temp in the winter is 62 in house, so I know the normal graph of heaters doesnt work. I have a 100 watt in my 10 gallon during the winter because the 50 watt wouldn't quite get it to 77. My turtle has a 400 watt in his 75 gallon and that seems to work nice. But i do not to fry my fish either. Thanks for all your help!!!

First on the heater, this is a situation where a canister filter with a built-in heating unit would work best. I have an Eheim on my 90g and this tank has to most uniform temperature of all my 7 tanks. Hanging heaters do have more trouble maintaining the warm temperature in cold rooms.

On the light, a hood is likely going to have insufficient lighting (a single T8 tube not full length), or too much (a dual T5 tube). So the best option might be a glass canopy and then bujying a separate fixture for the light. A single-tube T5 would work fine if you can find one. Or a dual tube T8.

As for plants, Vallisneria does very well in hard water, and is actually native to the rift lakes.

Byron.

unitednations161 12-02-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1334924)
First on the heater, this is a situation where a canister filter with a built-in heating unit would work best. I have an Eheim on my 90g and this tank has to most uniform temperature of all my 7 tanks. Hanging heaters do have more trouble maintaining the warm temperature in cold rooms.

On the light, a hood is likely going to have insufficient lighting (a single T8 tube not full length), or too much (a dual T5 tube). So the best option might be a glass canopy and then bujying a separate fixture for the light. A single-tube T5 would work fine if you can find one. Or a dual tube T8.

As for plants, Vallisneria does very well in hard water, and is actually native to the rift lakes.

Byron.


Ok thank you! what Filter do you recommend that has a heater built in for my 65 gallon tank?

Byron 12-02-2012 06:52 PM

I've no idea what is out there, without searching myself. My Eheim Professionel 2 that I got in 1997 for my 70g/90g came (and I think still comes) in a model with the heating unit. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Byron.

unitednations161 12-02-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1335300)
I've no idea what is out there, without searching myself. My Eheim Professionel 2 that I got in 1997 for my 70g/90g came (and I think still comes) in a model with the heating unit. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Byron.


That is fine, I did search thats why I asked the only one I could find was the Professional 3 with the heater! thanks anyways.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2