Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Baking soda (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/baking-soda-121498/)

mikejp67 12-01-2012 03:41 PM

Baking soda

I've been on many sites and half say use baking soda to raise KH and others say dont use it.
Anyone want to comment on this?

Geomancer 12-01-2012 04:42 PM

Not a good idea, and rarely is it ever needed to add KH. Best to just not mess with it in most cases.

Here is an article about it: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

Care to explain why you are wanting to raise your KH?

DragonFyre14 12-01-2012 05:34 PM

If you add too much baking soda you could easily suffocate your fish. I believe it is because it produces CO2 in the tank. So i'm not sure I would mess around with it.

Byron 12-01-2012 06:25 PM

I agree. The article Geo linked explains it.

Byron.

mikejp67 12-01-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1333961)
I agree. The article Geo linked explains it.

Byron.

Byron, What are your credentials in this subject?
Im hearing the complete opposite from chemists w PHD's
I've heard so many different things that I have no idea who's right and who's wrong.

marshallsea 12-01-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikejp67 (Post 1334020)
Byron, What are your credentials in this subject?
Im hearing the complete opposite from chemists w PHD's
I've heard so many different things that I have no idea who's right and who's wrong.

Are the chemists with PHDs tropical fish experts or are they chemists who say baking soda will change KH levels? Rocket scientists are smart but I wouldn't let one rebuild the automatic transmission in an automobile. Just a thought.

Reefing Madness 12-02-2012 12:01 AM

I use it in my 240g Salt Water tank to do just that. Raise my PH and KH

Geomancer 12-02-2012 06:20 AM

No one is saying it won't raise the KH of the water.

The problem is the why are you trying to raise the KH.

The issue is that doing this is only a temporary solution to a problem that may not exist in the first place and unless you pay very, very, extremely careful attention to the exact amount you add, when, and how, you will create pH fluctuations that are extremely harmful for your fish.

I'm stressing this because it sounds like you are questioning whether it works or not, while we are saying yes it works but is a bad idea.

If you state your problem, with numbers, we may be able to find a better solution or even if a solution is needed in the first place. "Don't mess with what's not broke"

Reefing Madness 12-02-2012 10:05 AM

It works, yes, don't know why your calling it a bad idea. In smaller systems you do have to watch how much your puttin in there, but its just like everything else your adding to a tank, you must always be careful.
KH help maintain Ph in your tank, and this is helpful in keeping healthy animals. KH, PH and Calcium, they all affect each other, and even in FW, you need these thing for healthy inverts.

Byron 12-02-2012 12:43 PM

Well, I would have thought my explanation in the article explains why it is not good to use baking soda, but perhaps most haven't read it. So here is that paragraph excerpted:
A final comment on using baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to raise pH. This can be useful in an emergency, but should not be used long-term. Sodium bicarbonate has no effective buffer action and cannot stabilize pH when additional acids are being produced such as by waste products. Further, the sodium ions will eventually reach levels that are intolerable for soft water fish (Weitzman et al. 1996). Commercial preparations such as rift lake mineral salts and others are effective though they are very expensive long term or in larger aquaria.
Also understand I am talking freshwater in the article, and in this thread; I've no idea about using baking soda in saltwater.

As for my credentials, I obtain all my data here and elsewhere from ichthyologists and biologists. The sources for that article are cited in the references, and they speak for themselves. As for the baking soda issue, that info comes from three biologists who have delved about as deep as anyone can into the topic. The credentials of Dr. Stan Weitzman will not be matched by any of us.

Byron.