Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Betta In Freshwater Community Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/betta-freshwater-community-tank-121493/)

austinspeer810 12-01-2012 02:45 PM

Betta In Freshwater Community Tank

Would a betta be alright to put in a tropical fish community tank? I know they are aggressive towards other bettas (especially males) but would it be alright to put it in a community tank with NO male bettas?

Ogre44 12-01-2012 02:55 PM

I have a male betta in my tank and he's fine.
The big drawback is that he really limits the other fish I can have, as he is slow with long fins which makes him a BIG target for fin nipping.

Nilet699 12-01-2012 02:55 PM

Would this be in the same 10 gallon already over stocked with cloudy water tank from your other thread or have you got a bigger tank/restocking current one?
What else would be in the community etc?

austinspeer810 12-01-2012 02:56 PM

I actually did a full tank restore so it is pretty much a brand new tank

Nilet699 12-01-2012 02:58 PM

What else would be in the tank with the betta then?

austinspeer810 12-01-2012 03:04 PM

as of right now I have a swordtail molly, wagtail platy fish, and a small algae eater

Nilet699 12-01-2012 03:12 PM

Well really you need at least 5 gallon Just for the betta so in my novice opinion I'd say no.
From the posts iv read of yours I'd say you be better investing in a larger tank for your community tank and maybe keep the betta in the 10 gallon as you seem interested in quite a few fish varieties...... then plan your tank in advance, see what you want and buy to suit.

austinspeer810 12-01-2012 03:14 PM

thank you!!! I really appreciate you giving me your input and advice. I will definitely take that into consideration

Byron 12-01-2012 06:33 PM

Betta are not community fish. They will always be best on their own. Two issues can occur.

First, the Betta will attempt to eat small fish [I had one that ate neon tetra], and it frequently takes a strong dislike to certain fish, usually those with bright colours. Some ichthyologists think these fish trigger the Betta's natural response to his own species with their colouration.

The flip side is as someone mentioned, that many fish will see the Betta's fins as targets. Even otherwise peaceful fish can not resist the temptation.

Whichever occurs, the fish are the loser and stress will be high, which means poor health. And before someone jumps in to say it, yes, there are always exceptions. But what I have said above is the norm; it is wiser to assume the norm rather than experimenting and risking the fish.

Byron.

Bluewind 12-06-2012 01:23 AM

Another thing to consider is the TYPE of Betta. What exactly does that mean? Believe it or not, there are many breeds of Betta and each has it's own drawbacks. A Crowntail is more agressive than a Veiltail for example. Also, gender is important. Males should be kept alone, but females can actually be kept together as long as you have the minimum sorority size (I think it's 3?). Just remember to keep up the pwc as although Bettas have little waste, the produce a lot of amonia from their gills. If you do decide to add a Betta with other fish, make sure that the others are non-agressive, non-finnipping, and do not in any way resemble a Betta. This will keep you for having problems. bettafish.com is a GREAT place to get more info on compatable tankmates. :)
Posted via Mobile Device