Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-new-first-tank-hints-tips-121481/)

Nilet699 12-01-2012 12:47 PM

My new (and first) tank-hints tips etc

First off...... hi people :-)

Ok, So my little story..... I had decided that saving all my money had become boring, decided to treat myself and rather than buy a new 50" plasma, thought I'd get something I'd always wanted.... I'm 25 :-) .. and get my first tank. Nearly went reef after chatting to a friend who actually has tropical, but Mrs said NO! And I'm kinda glad too.

So....I went out and bought myself an aqua one eurostyle 80, 180 ltr tank. I likes it :-)

I will upload pics later as currently working..well... if someone would kindly link me the how to, or I'll find it once home.

Tank has now cycled using bottle cheat BUT one of my pieces of wood has not yet sank in my water butt and is stopping me from putting fish in as its so big it would cause the poor things too much stress/being squashed.

So, gives me a little time though to chat about where I want to go with the tank etc with you lot hopefully :-)

Originally I wanted balas but have now decided that the tank would not suit them after too long....... it's (cm) 80 x 76 x 40. Works out at 215 ltr but after substrate and lil missing at top 180 sounds about right.

Ok, it will be a planted tank, have already had fun putting in one piece of wood that's kind of like a mini cave and attaching 2 anubias to the top of it, have other plants - can't remember the name now - currently in tank waiting for my other wood which is like a root system which I will plant them between etc creating nice shelter etc. Wish I could upload pics now.......

So, these are the fish I was interested in and was hoping for some advise on creating a good community;

Beosmani rainbow
Galaxy rasbora
Clown loach
Sunset platy
Couple of diff plecos- candy strip, well any of the stripey ones. Haha
Balas :-(
Red tail black shark
Black neon tetra.

And am always willing to take any advice/s suggestions etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

fish monger 12-01-2012 01:50 PM

Those tank dimensions will allow you to do some really cool aquascaping. Unfortunately, you have a few fish on your list that might not work out. That being said, the total area of your tank might make up for the lack of length. The clown loach is not a good candidate no matter what because of their eventual size, same thing for the balas. If you get the smaller plecos, they will work out. Many folks say that a red tailed shark needs a minimum of a 48 inch tank; however, most 48 inch long tanks are only 12-15 inches wide. Your tank has much more surface area than those, so maybe the red tailed shark would work. Let's wait to here from some of the experts. Have fun and best of luck.

Byron 12-01-2012 06:43 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

I'm going to point you to our fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. You will note that some of the fish names shaded in your initial post; that is because you typed the name exactly as it appears in our profile and it will become a link to that profile. All of the fish mentioned are in the profiles. To make it quick for you, here are the names as links:
Clown Loach
Black Neon Tetra
Boeseman Rainbowfish
Celestial Pearl Danio [Galaxy Rasbora is another common name]
Platy
Bala Shark
Red Tailed Shark
Common Pleco

You will find info on minimum tank sizes, numbers in the group for shoaling fish, compatibility issues, etc in the profiles. I won't repeat what you will find there, but you have a few serious issues with the fish that you will find out about. And you can always ask question here.:-)

Byron.

marshallsea 12-01-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1333416)
First off...... hi people :-)

Ok, So my little story..... I had decided that saving all my money had become boring, decided to treat myself and rather than buy a new 50" plasma, thought I'd get something I'd always wanted.... I'm 25 :-) .. and get my first tank. Nearly went reef after chatting to a friend who actually has tropical, but Mrs said NO! And I'm kinda glad too.

So....I went out and bought myself an aqua one eurostyle 80, 180 ltr tank. I likes it :-)

I will upload pics later as currently working..well... if someone would kindly link me the how to, or I'll find it once home.

Tank has now cycled using bottle cheat BUT one of my pieces of wood has not yet sank in my water butt and is stopping me from putting fish in as its so big it would cause the poor things too much stress/being squashed.

So, gives me a little time though to chat about where I want to go with the tank etc with you lot hopefully :-)

Originally I wanted balas but have now decided that the tank would not suit them after too long....... it's (cm) 80 x 76 x 40. Works out at 215 ltr but after substrate and lil missing at top 180 sounds about right.

Ok, it will be a planted tank, have already had fun putting in one piece of wood that's kind of like a mini cave and attaching 2 anubias to the top of it, have other plants - can't remember the name now - currently in tank waiting for my other wood which is like a root system which I will plant them between etc creating nice shelter etc. Wish I could upload pics now.......

So, these are the fish I was interested in and was hoping for some advise on creating a good community;

Beosmani rainbow
Galaxy rasbora
Clown loach
Sunset platy
Couple of diff plecos- candy strip, well any of the stripey ones. Haha
Balas :-(
Red tail black shark
Black neon tetra.

And am always willing to take any advice/s suggestions etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

How long has your tank been running? Even with the additive it can take months to fully cycle. Add your plants before your fish.

Nilet699 12-02-2012 02:58 AM

Sorry fish monger, that width is right for mine too, the 76cm relates to the height. I couldn't fit anything longer or deeper into the alcove I've put it in so went as tall as I could find.

Tanks been up for 11 days now and all readings etc so spiked as should. Plants have been in for a week now and are fine. Literally just waiting on the wood so can plant the tank how I want it.

I have read all them profiles thanks Byron and I can indeed see a multitude of problems in parameters etc. Sad face. Has made me think though as I plan to add a second larger tank in 6-12 months, how big would I need for a bala and clown loach tank? And how long till they grew out of my current?

Main thing is I'm not a fan of tiny fish, neons tetras etc, just not my thing, I'd much prefer to have far fewer 3/4/5/6/7 inch fish in my tank than have a 100 0.5 inch fish there. So, any suggestions where to start building from with a nice centre piece larger fish that I can build a community around?

Canadian Fish 12-02-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1334330)
Sorry fish monger, that width is right for mine too, the 76cm relates to the height. I couldn't fit anything longer or deeper into the alcove I've put it in so went as tall as I could find.

Tanks been up for 11 days now and all readings etc so spiked as should. Plants have been in for a week now and are fine. Literally just waiting on the wood so can plant the tank how I want it.

I have read all them profiles thanks Byron and I can indeed see a multitude of problems in parameters etc. Sad face. Has made me think though as I plan to add a second larger tank in 6-12 months, how big would I need for a bala and clown loach tank? And how long till they grew out of my current?

Main thing is I'm not a fan of tiny fish, neons tetras etc, just not my thing, I'd much prefer to have far fewer 3/4/5/6/7 inch fish in my tank than have a 100 0.5 inch fish there. So, any suggestions where to start building from with a nice centre piece larger fish that I can build a community around?

The Bala profile suggests a tank of 6 to 8 feet in length. Balas and Clown loaches like to be kept in groups, so I suggest 125 as a minimum size tank for keeping both. 150 or 180 would be even better.

I keep Balas in a 220, and I plan on adding Clown loaches as well, I love your choice of fish. My 220 is, sadly, only 6 feet long, so it's no better than a 150 or 180 for the balas, which need the swimming length as they mature.

Even as babies, my balas used the entire length of a 4 ft 55 gallon tank. If your tank is 80 cm long, which is just over 2 and a half feet, I would not keep balas or clown loaches of any age. That is a really short tank. Apologies if I misunderstood the dimensions. I can't imagine a 50 gallon tank is only 2 and a half feet long. That's the same length as a 20 gallon long tank, so I may have missed something.

As for the second part of your question, some species of Rainbowfish grow to about 4", and they grow high as well as long as they mature. They are a beautiful fish that come in many colors. Mine are super fast and active. In those tank dimensions, however, they will be essentially swimming in circles (which may be fine for them, I have no idea, Byron or someone would know better). Something less active may be better for a tank of your dimensions.

Nilet699 12-02-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Model 80 Aquarium size is 80cm x 42cm x 64cm high, the volume is 180 litres.
Cabinet measures 80cm x 42 x 76cm high
So I was slightly mistaking the dimensions. But had the overall capacity right...

80X42x64 = 215 040 x 0.001 = 215.04 litre capacity.
Which equates to;
215 litres = 47.2933688 Imperial gallons
215 litres = 56.7969913 US gallons

80Cm is 2.62 ft in length.

Hope this helps?

As for the balas clowns etc why I'm wondering about if they could Start for the first 6 months in my current tank is I was going to buy a 600 litre/200us gallon tank originally but Mrs said to start smaller... which I'm now regretting so would no doubt buy anyway 6 months from now, why I'm wondering about the approx growth rate early on.

Which choices did you mean Canadian?

Canadian Fish 12-02-2012 11:11 AM

I neglected to say....

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4...bubblfshe0.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1334587)
So I was slightly mistaking the dimensions. But had the overall capacity right...

80X42x64 = 215 040 x 0.001 = 215.04 litre capacity.
Which equates to;
215 litres = 47.2933688 Imperial gallons
215 litres = 56.7969913 US gallons

80Cm is 2.62 ft in length.

Hope this helps?

As for the balas clowns etc why I'm wondering about if they could Start for the first 6 months in my current tank is I was going to buy a 600 litre/200us gallon tank originally but Mrs said to start smaller... which I'm now regretting so would no doubt buy anyway 6 months from now, why I'm wondering about the approx growth rate early on.

Which choices did you mean Canadian?

I meant the Balas and the Clowns. I am fans of both.

I personally don't think Balas should be in a two and a half foot tank for ANY amount of time, 6 OR 12 months. It's too short for them. Even when they're small they need swimming room.

If you're getting a big tank in 6 months anyway, why not wait and get the Balas in six months, when you get the big tank, and stock this tank with something that can thrive in it for the long haul?

If you had a standard 55 gallon long tank, which is 48", I would say you could probably house some Balas for 6 months, as long as they were purchased very small, but I wouldn't put them in a 31" tank.

Byron 12-02-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nilet699 (Post 1334587)

Many years ago I picked up on what I consider a very sensible maxim: never buy a fish if you do not now/today have the required sized tank that it will need at maturity. Intentions to buy larger tanks in the future do not always materialize. And then you are left with fish in unsuitable surroundings, which is cruel to the fish and something all of us want to avoid.

Fish grow throughout their lives, unlike us; they need sufficient space, both from a physical perspective to accommodate their behaviours, and from the water quality aspect to ensure proper internal development of their physiology. When either is denied them, their growth is affected in several ways. Abnormal internal organ development, sometimes leading to what we term stunting, occurs; this weakens the fish's immune system among other things. The fish's temperament can be affected; either aggressive or regressive behaviours are the fish's only way to lash out at the frustration it feels being denied what nature intended it to have.

There are plenty of lovely loaches and barbs that suit smaller tanks. When the day comes--if it does--that a 6-foot or larger tank is set up, that will be the time for clown loaches and Balas.:-)

Byron.

Nilet699 12-02-2012 04:29 PM

Ok you terrible people ;-) you've convinced me of what I already know I suppose. Darn you all. Haha :-)

Considering my tank dimensions etc and a max size of 3inches how about boesami rainbows as a centre piece?

I also just threw away 2 large pieces of furniture...... stage 1 of acquiring a 6ft tank :-)