Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   jaack dempsey overload (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/jaack-dempsey-overload-121421/)

killuhnation 11-30-2012 08:00 PM

jaack dempsey overload

i kept reading online that you weren't supposed to have more than one in a tank. i had 2, went to the fish store and they told me i could add more, so i bought one more.. they are fairly small, biggest being 1 to 2 inches and he's the prettiest (he i hope) anyways how many jack dempseys can be in a tank?? their is also one Firemouth (other died lastnight which is why i replaced it with a dempsey i dont really like the Firemouth) and 2 Convict Cichlid male and female, and also 5 africans... ive read not to mix them, but keep in mind i bought all these fish from 1 store and they said i could. they are all in a 20 gallon cluttered with objects for them to hide in, and i have a 55 gallon i am working on setting up but have to get substrate first.. they are all going in there. and i wont add any more for now lol but eventually i will.. i cant stop. i think my questions are: are 3 jack dempseys okay? and if i was to add another type of fish, what kind... and should i get another Firemouth for the one i have? :oops: i know these are alot of fish but the jacks are my favorite if anyone cares lol and i do know they get the largest.

AndrewM21 11-30-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killuhnation (Post 1332541)
i kept reading online that you weren't supposed to have more than one in a tank. i had 2, went to the fish store and they told me i could add more, so i bought one more.. they are fairly small, biggest being 1 to 2 inches and he's the prettiest (he i hope) anyways how many jack dempseys can be in a tank?? their is also one Firemouth (other died lastnight which is why i replaced it with a dempsey i dont really like the Firemouth) and 2 Convict Cichlid male and female, and also 5 africans... ive read not to mix them, but keep in mind i bought all these fish from 1 store and they said i could. they are all in a 20 gallon cluttered with objects for them to hide in, and i have a 55 gallon i am working on setting up but have to get substrate first.. they are all going in there. and i wont add any more for now lol but eventually i will.. i cant stop. i think my questions are: are 3 jack dempseys okay? and if i was to add another type of fish, what kind... and should i get another Firemouth for the one i have? :oops: i know these are alot of fish but the jacks are my favorite if anyone cares lol and i do know they get the largest.

Your current stocking in a 20G aquarium (even though they are juvis) is still extremely overstocked. You need to get these fish moved to an appropriate home sooner than later. In a 55G aquarium I would recommend no more than 2 Jack Dempseys as they get extremely large.

In regards to your africans, this covers a wide variety of species and it would help to know which ones you currently have.

killuhnation 11-30-2012 11:31 PM

one is blue one is yellow and one is orange, and two are white with a purplish pink hue to them.. they have 2 yellow spots on their bottom fin.. they were just marked as african cichlid 3 for $10 lol pretty small.. i have an extra tank to play with.. a 39 gallon, should i put the africans in it? and jack dempseys in the 55 gallon?? and which should i put the convicts in?

killuhnation 11-30-2012 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
please note this is temporary, tried to include pictures... i have a friend i can give one of the jack dempseys too, i suppose if u dont suggest i seperate them into the 39 gallon tank i suggested.

Adamson 12-01-2012 03:21 AM

Your tank looks crowded, please don't add anymore fish.

killuhnation 12-01-2012 10:33 AM

im not sure anyone is really helping me.... i need to know if i need to get a filter for this 39 gallon tank to seperate the africans from the rest.... and then i need to know where the firemouth and convicts should go... with the dempseys or africans?

Tazman 12-01-2012 11:11 AM

The 55g is too small for 2 JD's, two would fight in 55g tank, 3 would need the space of a 6ft tank as they are extremely aggressive when adult which takes about a year.

Keep the JD alone in the 55g, give one away as you mentioned and move the africans to the 39g.

The firmouth and convicts need to stay in the 55g with the JD.

Never trust what a store tells you 99% of the time they want your money and do not care about the environment the fish are going in, the information they have given you is totally false.

You cannot successfully house 3 JD in a tank any smaller than 6ft, they will fight each other to death..I know this from personal experience, even then it is a serious challenge due to the aggressive mature of these fish. The aggression is something that CANNOT be changed by us.

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT add anymore fish to any of these tanks, they are too small to house these fish long term, Africans should be in a minimum 55g and the JD ideally in a 75g tank, alone with the firemouth and convicts only.

killuhnation 12-01-2012 01:51 PM

they told me i could always let them grow a little and then trade them out? only 5 africans in a 39 is too many? and could i put one of the jack dempseys with the africans and one in the 55 and still give the other away, her tank is 55 gallons also but its tall not long, mine is long.

Tazman 12-02-2012 10:19 AM

Letting them grow will only add to the problems likely to be encountered.

Once the fish reach a certain size and age then aggressive behavior will start showing and no matter what you do you cannot curb it to the extent of having a peaceful tank. These fish are programmed to be aggressive and we cannot change that. We can though offer and environment that will be less conductive to aggression but these usually means a large tank with a lot of area that each fish can claim as their territory.

What would happen if you grow them out and then find you have no where to put them, either at the LFS or your friends tank? You end up with fish that are unsuitable for the environment you can provide which only leads to sadly dead or injured fish.

The Africans are active fish and as such need the space a longer larger tank provides, keeping them in a tank smaller than 40g even when you can lead to aggression, the aggression again is only something we can curb NOT stop.

What length is your friends 55g? Anything under 4ft length is going to be only suitable for the JD alone with NOTHING else, the JD once adult will simply kill them as it takes over the tank for itself.

By the look of your pictures the JD's are at an age when they could potentially start showing the adult aggression, this makes it slightly more harder to decide which tank to put them in.

My honest opinion, is you keep the JD's together in the 55g BUT divide the tank with a piece of plastic, it will not very good but I would not put the JD in with the Africans, two reasons, one they need different water parameters and second, they might kill off the Africans.

The Firemouth, keep in the 55g for sure, Africans and convict in the 39 but try and rehouse one of the JD's as soon as possible.