Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   jack dempseys? couple other questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/jack-dempseys-couple-other-questions-121418/)

killuhnation 11-30-2012 07:13 PM

jack dempseys? couple other questions

i kept reading online that you weren't supposed to have more than one in a tank. i had 2, went to the fish store and they told me i could add more, so i bought one more.. they are fairly small, biggest being 1 to 2 inches and he's the prettiest (he i hope) anyways how many jack dempseys can be in a tank?? their is also one Firemouth (other died lastnight which is why i replaced it with a dempsey i dont really like the Firemouth) and 2 Convict Cichlid male and female, and also 5 africans... ive read not to mix them, but keep in mind i bought all these fish from 1 store and they said i could. they are all in a 20 gallon cluttered with objects for them to hide in, and i have a 55 gallon i am working on setting up but have to get substrate first.. they are all going in there. and i wont add any more for now lol but eventually i will.. i cant stop. i think my questions are: are 3 jack dempseys okay? and if i was to add another type of fish, what kind... and should i get another Firemouth for the one i have? ill post pics of what i have them in soon

WildFire78 12-01-2012 08:28 AM

Lol when they start growing you are in for some....."fun"

killuhnation 12-01-2012 10:31 AM

lol i figured... im going to try and set up a 39 gallon for the africans... i still want to try and keep 2 out of 3 of the dempseys...

Byron 12-02-2012 03:48 PM

We have profiles on all these fish, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page; click on shaded names for the profile. Each gives info on numbers, minimum tank size, compatibility, etc. As another member said [in a mild way], you are in for real trouble with this mix.

From the Jack Dempsey profile:
Not a community fish. Best kept individually, or may be kept in a small group of 6 or more in a very large tank. Should not be kept in smaller groups due to their aggressiveness. As the fish matures it becomes increasing more territorially aggressive.

From the Convict Cichlid profile:
This is not a community fish. Best in a species tank; a pair may be kept in a 36-inch (40+ gallon) tank. In much larger tanks (over 6 feet) it may be kept with a few other Central American cichlids that are robust. This species is very aggressive and territorial, and when spawning becomes very violent to all other fish including much larger cichlids.

And African rift lake cichlids cannot be combined with other fish, the water parameters for one are vastly different, plus the aggressiveness issue.

Research your fish before you acquire them, and bear in mind that the store is in business to sell fish, and if you buy them and they die and you go back for more, so much the better. The worst of all this is the poor fish, who cannot help being the way they are, but the stress caused to them by inappropriate environments (tanks, other fish) affects their physiology and they will be in poor health and likely die before they have had a chance to "live" as nature intended.

Take note of the blue paragraph in my signature block.