Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Camallanus Worm Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/camallanus-worm-help-121336/)

LittleWatty 11-29-2012 05:42 PM

Camallanus Worm Help

3 Attachment(s)
So, I'm fairly certain one of my precious fish has an infestation of these worms. I've been doing a lot of research on them all day, but since I've never experienced these things before, I'm looking for help from anyone who has fought them off successfully. I will have the best picture I was able to take at the end of this post, just to be certain this is what my fish indeed does have.

First off, he is the only fish in the tank. There are two African Dwarf Frogs, but that is it. I am wondering (and very worried about) the possibility of my frogs getting infected with these worms as well. Is it possible? I have heard that its not, but I just want to make sure.

Secondly, with this tank, I don't know what to do with the treatment options. Its fully cycled, 3 inhabitants (the fish, and two frogs), and a variety of live plants. I got my hands on some Tetra Parasite Guard, as it was the only parasite treatment I could find. I don't know if this will do anything at all, but I'm hopeful. I haven't done anything with them yet, as I'm not sure entirely WHAT to do. I've heard that it's beneficial to use these kind of treatments to soak the food with. I want to do that, but I don't want to overdose it somehow.

Thirdly, I'm trying to get my hands on some Levamisol (possibly the HCL variety), but I'm not having any luck. Are there any shops known to carry it, or links that people can direct me to in order to get some of this ASAP? I don't know how long my poor fish has before its too late.

Mikaila31 11-29-2012 11:46 PM

I have some levamisole thats expired you can try if you want. I do know of one place that sells it online but I can't remember it ATM. I'll do some hunting tomorrow and see if I can find it.

But yeah i can confirm that is definitely camallanus =/

LittleWatty 11-30-2012 07:47 AM

I ordered some treated food last night before I went to bed. So far I've separated the fish and the ADFs so I can treat the entire tank without having to worry about the meds affecting the frogs. I added a tab of the Tetra Parasite Guard to the tank last night, and did a food soak with some bloodworms. I haven't really seen a change yet, but I'm hoping at the very least that it'll keep them in check until I can get my hands on the levamisole.

I will definitely take as much of that expired levamisole as you're willing to give. I'll do just about anything to save this fish.