Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Help! Molly jumped out ot tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-molly-jumped-out-ot-tank-121327/)

trishalove 11-29-2012 04:52 PM

Help! Molly jumped out ot tank

This morning I found my creamsicle molly on the floor. She was all dried up. Amazingly she was still breathing and I put her back in. She swam a bit then went to the bottom of the tank. I came home 8 hours later and she is still in the back, breathing laborously. She didnt come out to eat. Not sure if there is anything I can do??? Is it possible she will survive this? Is she suffering? The tank has a glass cover and part of it in the back is hard plastic to allow cut outs for tubing. I cut about a one square inch for tubing. She must have jumped just right through this hole! I have now covered it.

Please if anyone has any suggestions please reply.

Thank you,

Trisha

jsagrav 11-29-2012 07:19 PM

How is she doing now?

trishalove 11-29-2012 07:37 PM

Unfortunately she is worse. I think she may be gone. It looks lke she may be breathing but I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me. I am afraid to move or disturb her. I feel awful, she was my oldest and fave fish to watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsagrav (Post 1331218)
How is she doing now?

jsagrav 11-30-2012 02:15 PM

try a small pinch of salt, let it fall near her. sometimes that helps.

cpwebsite 12-10-2012 01:12 PM

Decrease the heat, (warmer water has less oxygen), but only 2-3 degrees, add a pinch of aquarium salt near her (as recommended), and also attempt to add an aerator near her. Your goal here is to maximize the oxygen she gets with every breath.

However, if you think she is dead, then you should remove her.

trishalove 12-10-2012 01:26 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies. She actually survived. However she is not the same. In fact she was showing signs of distress prior to jumping out the tank - which is prob why she managed to get out in the first place. Basically she just hides in a rock in the bottom corner of the tank. She had about 3-4 fry several weeks ago and I don't think she ever gave birth to the rest of them.

cpwebsite 12-17-2012 10:21 PM

They may be stuck inside of her or something which can cause her to get an infection.

trishalove 12-18-2012 06:52 AM

I ended up treating the tank with marcyn II (sp?) after I noticed other fish had fin rot and another was suffering - fins clamped, gasping for air at the bottom of the tank - that one died :( But now the molly seems to be much better after the treatment. She is a survivor.

jsagrav 12-22-2012 11:08 AM

awesome, that she lived. sorry your tank is messed up, though.

DragonFyre14 12-22-2012 11:22 AM

Wow. I always think it is amazing when fish can jump out, lay on the floor for a while, and still survive.
I used to have a goldfish that did that. Whenever we would clean her tank we would place her in a 1 gallon bowl. pretty much every time she would jump out of the bowl and land on the carpet. Most of the time she would lay there for at least 30 min, we would just pick her up and put her back in the bowl and she would swim around like nothing happened. We had her for nearly 8 years.