Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Worm or Parasite? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/worm-parasite-121252/)

Magna pisces custos 11-28-2012 09:14 PM

Worm or Parasite?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, found this worm in the substrate tonight while cleaning out snails.
Can anyone identify it? Just wanted to make sure its not a parasite or something, I have never seen one in the tank before.
Tank Info:
-38 Gallon fresh water.
-Planted.
-Wood.
-Livebearers.
-BNP.
-Corry Cats.
-Neon Tetras.
-Fully cycled.
-Regular water changes for nitrates.

marshallsea 11-28-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magna pisces custos (Post 1330053)
Hi all, found this worm in the substrate tonight while cleaning out snails.
Can anyone identify it? Just wanted to make sure its not a parasite or something, I have never seen one in the tank before.
Tank Info:
-38 Gallon fresh water.
-Planted.
-Wood.
-Livebearers.
-BNP.
-Corry Cats.
-Neon Tetras.
-Fully cycled.
-Regular water changes for nitrates.

I would consider it a parasite. I've had 2 platys die with what looks like that hanging out of their gills. I got the parasites from the live plant tank at Petsmart.

Magna pisces custos 11-29-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1330205)
I would consider it a parasite. I've had 2 platys die with what looks like that hanging out of their gills. I got the parasites from the live plant tank at Petsmart.

Well if it is a parasite I need to identify it. Can humans (I) contract it sticking my hands in the tank, that is the million dollar question.

magpie 11-29-2012 08:09 AM

I just started reading about worms and parasites in tanks due to researching dwarf puffers - Do you have a bunch of them? I'm not an expert - I had no idea that this was possible until reading up this past week. *shudder*

Look up detritus worms
Aquarium, Pond Fish Parasites; Trematodes, Flatworms, Nematodes, Detritus, Anchor Worms

Nematodes are the ones that look similar but are usually inside the fish. I'm not sure how often they are free-swimming.

Wish I could be more help!

marshallsea 11-29-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magna pisces custos (Post 1330267)
Well if it is a parasite I need to identify it. Can humans (I) contract it sticking my hands in the tank, that is the million dollar question.

I don't know if yours is, I had my hands in my tank with the parasites and nothing. If you're going to treat them, check out API General Cure.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2