Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   companions ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/companions-120855/)

tnokie 11-24-2012 10:24 PM

companions ?

Hello,I'm new here. I have set up a 30 gallon tank(freshwater) and I am thinking of putting some chiclids(spelling) in it. I read where you only want very few but I would like to put a bunch in like they do at the pet store. They seem to get along there just fine even tho crowed up. Still I would proably only put no more than six or seven. But even if I do less it brings me to my qestion,they say chiclids are "middle " of tank fish. I want catfish on bottom,so what would be good top fish? Is there any chance that platys would be able to survive with chilids?

AndrewM21 11-24-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnokie (Post 1324729)
Hello,I'm new here. I have set up a 30 gallon tank(freshwater) and I am thinking of putting some chiclids(spelling) in it. I read where you only want very few but I would like to put a bunch in like they do at the pet store. They seem to get along there just fine even tho crowed up. Still I would proably only put no more than six or seven. But even if I do less it brings me to my qestion,they say chiclids are "middle " of tank fish. I want catfish on bottom,so what would be good top fish? Is there any chance that platys would be able to survive with chilids?

I would recommend shell dwellers for a 30G aquarium, these are a rather peaceful cichlid and do not get very large. Although they are not going to be able to stay in the same aquarium as Platys since they require very very different water parameters.

Shell dwellers require numerous shells in the aquarium and I would also only recommend using a sandy substrate with these cichlids.

My questions for you would be what type of cichlids did you originally want/plan to keep in this aquarium? What is your current setup like?

I hope this helps!

Byron 11-26-2012 12:43 PM

"Cichlids" covers many species, from African rift lake species, to African and South American soft water species, to Central American species... What are your water parameters (GH and pH primarily)?

A comment on the fish in the store tank. You cannot maintain fish like they do in the store. This is a very different set of circumstances. Overcrowding for a fairly short term in store tanks is tolerable by most fish (though some will be permanently affected negatively by this) but it is a very un-natural state that long-term will mean diseased fish, weakened fish, and almost always premature death. That just isn't fair to the fish.

All fish have specific needs in terms of tank space, water parameters and environment (decor, plants, etc). These issues are mentioned in our profiles of each species [second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page].

Byron.

ChoclateBetta 11-26-2012 03:27 PM

I have read Multis can live in a 10 gallon so putting some in a 30 gallon would be interesting.