Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Are Cory Cats Compatible? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cory-cats-compatible-120761/)

VerdantGrotto 11-23-2012 09:43 PM

Are Cory Cats Compatible?

Apparently the "Emerald Corys" i thought i purchased a few months ago are actually Bronzes... But anyway. Are the numerous types of Cory Cats able to school with others of there same family?

For Example:

3 Bronze Corys
1 or 2 Peppers
1 or 2 Bandits
1 or 2 Juliis
and
1 or 2 Pandas

lucklein 11-23-2012 10:42 PM

I think they will, because I have bronze corys and laser orange corys and they school together, even though the bronze corys are much smaller than the others. They hang hang out together a lot of the time.

Ogre44 11-24-2012 07:36 AM

They will school together, however, you should still try for at least 3 of each species rather than a bunch of singletons.

fish monger 11-24-2012 07:37 AM

From what I have read, many of the various corys will school together. I have a book that says the emerald catfish is "closely related to the true corydoras catfish".

VerdantGrotto 11-24-2012 02:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

I've been thinking about it and I will be introducing them in groups of 3...
(Once i get my 55 gallon anyway):-P

I'm just a little skeptical of having so many bottom feeders. Maybe I will go with :

3 Bronze
3 Peppers
3 Bandits

Is this too many? I also wanted to put a Clown Loach in there but that might be too much for the Lower level.

AndrewM21 11-24-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VerdantGrotto (Post 1323987)
Thanks for all the responses!

I've been thinking about it and I will be introducing them in groups of 3...
(Once i get my 55 gallon anyway):-P

I'm just a little skeptical of having so many bottom feeders. Maybe I will go with :

3 Bronze
3 Peppers
3 Bandits

Is this too many? I also wanted to put a Clown Loach in there but that might be too much for the Lower level.

Clown loaches are very very social loaches and need to be kept in a group of 4 or more, you will not be able to keep 4 clowns in that tank for an extended period of time due to the size they that will grow to be. One clown loach will do fine in the tank, but you will not see their true personality unless you school them.

Hope this helps.

redchigh 11-24-2012 02:54 PM

Cories aren't always on the bottom... Personally, I'm planning on a catfish tank..
I think cories, dwarf chain loaches (8-10), upside down catfish (3), and a centerpiece fish for the top levels (a dwarf gourami trio or some female bettas) would make a awesome display.. If you don't like centerpiece fish, a school of 6 hatchets would be nice too...

djembekah 11-24-2012 03:09 PM

if you're doing a 55 i'd do like 4 or 5 of each cory.

fish monger 11-24-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1324014)
Cories aren't always on the bottom... Personally, I'm planning on a catfish tank..
I think cories, dwarf chain loaches (8-10), upside down catfish (3), and a centerpiece fish for the top levels (a dwarf gourami trio or some female bettas) would make a awesome display.. If you don't like centerpiece fish, a school of 6 hatchets would be nice too...

The bottom dwellers / catfish are some of my favorites. They are very diverse and interesting in their appearance and habits. Given a tank of their own, they would probably frequent all levels from time to time.

Ogre44 11-24-2012 03:24 PM

My current tank hosts 8 Bronze corries, 4 Panda corries, and a Betta.
Love the corries.