Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Name That Fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/name-fry-120745/)

Geomancer 11-23-2012 06:33 PM

Name That Fry

Okay, time for a little game of Name That Fry.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...uarium/fry.jpg

Your choices are:

Angelfish
Harlequin Rasbora
Diamond Tetra
Cory Catfish (Bronze, Julii, or Peppered)
Bristlenose Pleco
Oto Catfish

The catch? I don't know the answer myself... I know the picture isn't that great, it's a fast bugger in a hard to see place and the only angle has the camera looking right up at the lights.

My guess is a Diamond Tetra.

Mikaila31 11-23-2012 08:47 PM

looks like a rasbora to me

Jester10 11-23-2012 09:54 PM

I"m gonna guess diamond tetra.

TitanTDH 11-24-2012 01:38 AM

Im voting for rasbora, Just make sure you let us all know when it is a positive ID

Geomancer 11-24-2012 06:08 AM

It will probably still be a couple weeks, if it avoids the hungry angelfish, but it could be any of them. All my fish spawn ... constantly ... so I really don't know which it could be :lol:

It was funny, I was actually looking at a leaf full of Angel eggs with my wife when she pointed out there was a baby fish, I was confused because it was too early for the Angel eggs to hatch. Then I saw it and realized it's a couple weeks old at this point.

However.... daddy Angel also took notice of him and it was the funniest reaction I've ever seen from a fish. He moved right up behind the fry and yo could see his eyes popped out so he could see straight ahead. He had this look of "Ohhhhh, it's the tastiest thing I've sever seen!". I thought the little guy was doomed, but in a blink of an eye he darted away. The Angel looked crushed that his snack disappeared on him.

Geomancer 11-24-2012 07:59 AM

The more I look, the more convinced I am that this is a Diamond Tetra fry.

Byron 11-24-2012 12:17 PM

I'd be fairly certain that is a Diamond Tetra. I have had DT fry survive a couple times.

Thoth 11-26-2012 07:44 PM

Well I know it is not a Cory. They have little barbels... :) Tetra for the win

Geomancer 11-27-2012 06:35 AM

Yep, s/he's a Diamond Tetra ... and still alive!

Nature can always find a way, I'm truely surprised that the little guy made it. When the Diamond Tetra spawn they go up into the floating plants to deposit their eggs ... and all five of my angels sit below completely vertical looking up for snacks. You would be suprised how far they can squeeze their very tall bodies into the tangle of the Water Sprite to get at them.

On top of that, I do not put anything in special to feed fry as I'm not trying to raise them.

S/he would still be a single gulp snack for the Angels, but he has made it this long (and through a few water changes) so I would like to think he'll make it all the way. And thus the Diamond Tetra school gets a little larger... hopefully it turns out to be female, I have plenty of males.

The more I think of it though, the more I feel that it will be at greater risk at about neon tetra size. Large enough to venture out into the tank, but stil small enough to be killed by the angels.

Byron 11-27-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1327892)
Yep, s/he's a Diamond Tetra ... and still alive!

Nature can always find a way, I'm truely surprised that the little guy made it. When the Diamond Tetra spawn they go up into the floating plants to deposit their eggs ... and all five of my angels sit below completely vertical looking up for snacks. You would be suprised how far they can squeeze their very tall bodies into the tangle of the Water Sprite to get at them.

On top of that, I do not put anything in special to feed fry as I'm not trying to raise them.

S/he would still be a single gulp snack for the Angels, but he has made it this long (and through a few water changes) so I would like to think he'll make it all the way. And thus the Diamond Tetra school gets a little larger... hopefully it turns out to be female, I have plenty of males.

The more I think of it though, the more I feel that it will be at greater risk at about neon tetra size. Large enough to venture out into the tank, but stil small enough to be killed by the angels.

I would move the fry to another tank if that is possible. Angelfish are predatory, and if they see it they will get it.

If there is sufficient secure cover like thick plants, wood, etc. in a tank, and fish spawn, some fry will often survive. If the tank is established, there will be microscopic food within the plants and wood, and sufficient for a couple fry. Provided there are no predators in the tank, that will readily eat any smaller fish, a couple fry may well make it to maturity. I have found that the fish species itself rarely bothers them once they are out and about, even though small. I've had this with Emperor Tetra (currently 12 adult fish in my 90, all hatched in this tank from the parents that I gave away), various pencilfish, diamond tetra, kerri tetra, corys. All with no intervention from me. But again, there were no real predators in the tank, only the parent fish and similar, and at about 1/2 inch the fry seem to be ignored.

When I see fry at this stage, I sprinkle in some finely-ground flake food when I feed the normal flake, as the fish can eat this. Dry leaves are excellent if you want fry to survive in the future; just keep some dry leaves (oak, beech, almond) in the tank. My Farlowella fry are growing nicely on these, on their own of course in the 10g. They are very slow growing, and I had to remove them from the main tank when they hatched because the other fish were easily grabbing them up.