Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Compatibility Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/compatibility-question-120544/)

nattybrown 11-21-2012 10:23 AM

Compatibility Question

Hi all...I've been researching the Snow White Socolofi & have read all sorts of opinions on this guy. They would be tankmates with mostly peacocks, but if they're gonna be little bullies to my strawberries, then I may need to move on to another choice. Some say they're very gentle for a mbuna & others say they're too boisterous for peacocks. Does anyone have any success stories of keeping the snow white together with peacocks? Thanks!!

AndrewM21 11-21-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattybrown (Post 1319761)
Hi all...I've been researching the Snow White Socolofi & have read all sorts of opinions on this guy. They would be tankmates with mostly peacocks, but if they're gonna be little bullies to my strawberries, then I may need to move on to another choice. Some say they're very gentle for a mbuna & others say they're too boisterous for peacocks. Does anyone have any success stories of keeping the snow white together with peacocks? Thanks!!

I would recommend only keeping the Socolofi with other Mbuna due to their "active" nature and aggression. Peacocks are very sedate fish compared to other cichlids and thus should only be kept along side fish with similar characteristics.

I do not have any personal experience with that species in particular but after reading their profile, they do not seem like a very good match for peacocks. Our friendly neighborhood cichlid man should chime in shortly (Tazman) and he can likely offer better advise on this than I can.

nattybrown 11-22-2012 12:58 AM

Thanks, Andrew. That's kinda the conclusion I was coming to. They're absolutely beautiful fish, but might be a bit rough for my strawberries. As I first mentioned, I get mixed signals from reading on the web & such. I did find an article that recommended a few species NOT to mix with peacocks, just wondering how accurate it will be in real life?

Some of the fish to avoid that were mentioned were:
Paleotropheus, Petrotilapia, Metriaclima, Pseudotropheus, & Mbunas

Sorry if I don't sound like the brightest crayon in the box, but I'm fairly new to cichlids & it's a lot to take in. I've seen lots of African tanks with yellow labs & electric blues, but according to the article..they're a no-no! All these scientific names have me so mixed up!! :frustrated:

AndrewM21 11-22-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattybrown (Post 1320911)
Thanks, Andrew. That's kinda the conclusion I was coming to. They're absolutely beautiful fish, but might be a bit rough for my strawberries. As I first mentioned, I get mixed signals from reading on the web & such. I did find an article that recommended a few species NOT to mix with peacocks, just wondering how accurate it will be in real life?

Some of the fish to avoid that were mentioned were:
Paleotropheus, Petrotilapia, Metriaclima, Pseudotropheus, & Mbunas

Sorry if I don't sound like the brightest crayon in the box, but I'm fairly new to cichlids & it's a lot to take in. I've seen lots of African tanks with yellow labs & electric blues, but according to the article..they're a no-no! All these scientific names have me so mixed up!! :frustrated:

Are you looking for compatible fish for your peacocks? I'm a bit confused as to what the question in general is here.

There are quite a few species of fish that will happily live alongside with peacocks, electric blue JD's (Which is what I assume you meant by Electric blues) are friendly fish to my knowledge, they just get really big.

Before I would be comfortable offering any compatibility advise I'd need to know the size of the aquarium and it's current inhabitants first.

nattybrown 11-22-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 1320925)
Are you looking for compatible fish for your peacocks? I'm a bit confused as to what the question in general is here.

There are quite a few species of fish that will happily live alongside with peacocks, electric blue JD's (Which is what I assume you meant by Electric blues) are friendly fish to my knowledge, they just get really big.

Before I would be comfortable offering any compatibility advise I'd need to know the size of the aquarium and it's current inhabitants first.

I should've been more specific, sorry 'bout that. But yes, I'm looking for tankmates for my peacocks. I was recently given quite a few misc. fry, I just wanted to make sure they would eventually be ok with my peacocks. The fry that I was given included: snow white socolofis, blue otters, elec. blue haps, yellow labs, & 'iceberg' blue haps. My tank is 55g & has 3 featherfin cats, 1 Placidochromis Phenochilus Lupingu (blue star sapphire) & strawberry peacock juvies that I've been growing out. I don't plan on actually physically adding any new fish right now, as my plan was to keep only 6 or so of my males & pass the rest on to other fish friends. Long story short, once I get all the unwanted juvies out of there, there will only be a few strawberry peacocks, the blue star sapphire & my cats in there. My stand also holds a 75g, so as soon as I have the cash, I'll have lots of room to work with. Ideally, I'd like an all male tank & it'd be ok to only have peacocks, but, just wanted to maybe mix it up a bit, if that was possible.

AndrewM21 11-22-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nattybrown (Post 1320936)
I should've been more specific, sorry 'bout that. But yes, I'm looking for tankmates for my peacocks. I was recently given quite a few misc. fry, I just wanted to make sure they would eventually be ok with my peacocks. The fry that I was given included: snow white socolofis, blue otters, elec. blue haps, yellow labs, & 'iceberg' blue haps. My tank is 55g & has 3 featherfin cats, 1 Placidochromis Phenochilus Lupingu (blue star sapphire) & strawberry peacock juvies that I've been growing out. I don't plan on actually physically adding any new fish right now, as my plan was to keep only 6 or so of my males & pass the rest on to other fish friends. Long story short, once I get all the unwanted juvies out of there, there will only be a few strawberry peacocks, the blue star sapphire & my cats in there. My stand also holds a 75g, so as soon as I have the cash, I'll have lots of room to work with. Ideally, I'd like an all male tank & it'd be ok to only have peacocks, but, just wanted to maybe mix it up a bit, if that was possible.

You can not keep the blue haps with any Aulonocara species due to their similarities in color and size. They will kill all of the males in the tank. Yellow labs go great with Aulonocara as I currently house yellow labs with my peacocks.

The blue otter is a relatively peaceful cichlid I believe, but it does get rather large (10") so it may outgrow your current tank.

I am not a cichlid expert by far and if anyone of what I've said is inaccurate and needs to be corrected I'm sure someone will gladly do so and offer you better advise. I've messaged Tazman and asked him to chime in on this thread since he's very knowledgeable in the cichlid field.

I hope this helps!

Tazman 11-22-2012 08:03 AM

Simple answer is you cannot keep the mbuna with ANY peacocks unless the tank is very very overstocked with filtration to keep up with the bioload demand. It is also not recommended for tanks under 125g (6ft) in length.

All male tanks of peacocks will give you the most color variation, you WILL need another tank though to be setup, cycled and running along side the main tank. Male tanks take a lot of work setting up and the need for the extra tank is to remove fish that simply do not get along.

If you are going to attempt an all male tank, then you wan as many fish that do NOT look the same as possible, all male also have to be in over stocked tanks. Keeping a small group of males in a smaller tank such as 55g and even 75g, will be a lot of work. The space for territory is simply not there and this can lead to aggression issues, this is another reason why you need to overstock a male tank, to not allow any fish to gain a territory at all.

You can keep Haps with peacocks but nothing that gets too big (above 8") max in a 55g and 75g tank, something that makes a good addition and usually gets along with most peacocks is the Otopharynx lithobates (sulfur or Red head), these guy stay small around 5-6" and are peaceful with peacocks. Juvenile males start off a dark color and overtime will morph into an amazing metallic blue color.

If you overstock the tank, it has been known for yellow labs to work with peacocks although the peacocks need to well established in the tank first before the yellow labs are added. Still though, without a lot of experience with cichlids, I would avoid doing this.

nattybrown 11-25-2012 12:25 AM

Thanks, tazman...that's what I was afraid of. May have to trade them in at a LFS or maybe even give aquabid a try.