Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ick (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ick-120479/)

STM2121 11-20-2012 06:40 PM

Ick

So I have new 10 gallon tank and got 6 fish to start with. One of my black molley's came with Ich. It had/has white specs all over it. So I went out and got "API Liquid Super Ick Cure". I did the recommended dosage and did the 25% water change. It looked like everything was gone, a few days ago it seemed to have come back and again is covered with white specs again. Is there a better ick medicine or should I try a different treatment?

Thanks

DragonFyre14 11-20-2012 08:07 PM

I treat ich by using some aquarium salt, and I turn the heat up to around 82F. So far that has worked perfectly fine, but you need to make sure that all your fish can tolerate the salt. (for example plecostomus and most bottom dwellers can't handle much salt)

Did you use the medication for the entire time it recommends? Ich is almost always present in our tanks, and if the fish are stressed out or the conditions aren't the healthiest, that is often when they get ich. So, if it came back, its almost more important to find out what caused it to come back rather than treat it right away.

STM2121 11-20-2012 08:26 PM

Well I did the dosage, I had to put the solution in twice. Did the 25% water change. The white spots never went away completely, there was a few white specs left but never went away completely. I tested the water and the only level that was off was the nitrites. I read that is normal with new tanks and will go away after 4-6 weeks.

DragonFyre14 11-21-2012 08:22 PM

Nitrites are normal in a new uncycled tank. If it still appears that the fish have ick, then I would suggest turning up the heat and adding some aquarium salt. I believe the typical dosage is anywhere between 1 tsp per 5 gallons to 1 tbsp per 5 gallons

STM2121 11-24-2012 11:03 AM

So I got the temperature to about 86 degrees. Aquarium salt was added on Wednesday when I increased the temperature. So now its Saturday, I still dont seem to see any difference with the black molley yet. Still full of white specs and has trouble swimming. He also stays at the bottom alot. Should I add more salt? How long does it normally take to see results? Thnx

DragonFyre14 11-24-2012 11:55 AM

I had a very mild case of Ick (I caught it right as it started) and it took about a week of increased temp, more frequent water changes, and aquarium salt. Have you been doing water changes and replacing the water you took out with water that has aquarium salt in it?

STM2121 11-24-2012 12:01 PM

When you say replacing the water that has the aquarium salt in it, do you mean adding salt again?

DragonFyre14 11-24-2012 12:04 PM

Yes. Basically, if you take out say, 1 gallon of water, your need to add aquarium salt to the water you replace (in this case it would be enough to treat 1 gallon of water)

Aquarium salt doesn't get taken out by your filter and it doesn't evaporate. the only way to remove it is water changes.

STM2121 11-24-2012 02:02 PM

Yes I am an indeed doing that.

Fishwatcher14 11-24-2012 04:05 PM

My platies got ick. We didn't catch it fast enough and by the time we got some medicain for the fish, 4 were dead. Then, even though we treated it with the API ick stuff, the other five died. It was less than a week since they got it.

Use the salt. I don't think this medicine works well at all. If I had a heater for the tank I would have used salt... Good luck, and hopefully your molly will make it.