Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   aquabella...anybody tried this new treatment? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/aquabella-anybody-tried-new-treatment-120462/)

Big Dogs Little Pigs 11-20-2012 02:57 PM

aquabella...anybody tried this new treatment?

saw this in the pet store today while i was looking for a sweater for my little pot bellied pig (i know, i know, don't ask)...

AquaBella - Bio-Enzyme Water Treatment and Purification

if it isn't allowed to post links like that ^, please whip me with a wet noodle, delete it and make me promise to never do it again. :)

is this a case of "if it sounds too good to be true....." (i mean the water treatment thing, not the wet noodle thing). :-D

beaslbob 11-20-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dogs Little Pigs (Post 1318793)
saw this in the pet store today while i was looking for a sweater for my little pot bellied pig (i know, i know, don't ask)...

AquaBella - Bio-Enzyme Water Treatment and Purification

if it isn't allowed to post links like that ^, please whip me with a wet noodle, delete it and make me promise to never do it again. :)

is this a case of "if it sounds too good to be true....." (i mean the water treatment thing, not the wet noodle thing). :-D

Looking at the link and literature looks like it reduces phosphates to keep the water clear.

Sound like nothing that can't be done with plant life and much less cost and for more stability.

But that's just my .02

Reefing Madness 11-20-2012 06:43 PM

Never heard of it.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...fredspades.gif

Big Dogs Little Pigs 11-20-2012 08:17 PM

ya have now! :blueyay:

Reefing Madness 11-20-2012 08:27 PM

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/o...2_icon_lol.gif

PedroAsani 03-26-2013 12:22 AM

My girlfriend is looking to use it in our aquarium, we have been curing 150 lbs of live rock for about three weeks now and the nitrites are holding fast at 1 ppm and nitrates at 5 ppm. Since this says it is just the bacteria we are trying to culture, we figure this should be a boost to what is already there, and will cut the cycling time.

I'll write up what happens when we have results.

Big Dogs Little Pigs 03-26-2013 05:21 AM

it didn't work for me. i called aquabella about getting a refund since they guarantee this stuff. the guy asked me if i still had the box (which i did) and then asked me to look at the expiration date. turns out that when i bought it, it was already 9 months past that date. duh! it never occurred to me to look at the expiration date. i got a refund from the store.

i'll be interested to hear your outcome if you use it.

PedroAsani 03-26-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dogs Little Pigs (Post 1546338)
it didn't work for me. i called aquabella about getting a refund since they guarantee this stuff. the guy asked me if i still had the box (which i did) and then asked me to look at the expiration date. turns out that when i bought it, it was already 9 months past that date. duh! it never occurred to me to look at the expiration date. i got a refund from the store.

i'll be interested to hear your outcome if you use it.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. We are using a discount card for a chainstore that is due to expire, and it is quite possible they won't have rotated the stock. Something to watch out for.

Big Dogs Little Pigs 03-26-2013 06:02 AM

funny thing is, when i looked at the box and told the guy that indeed, it was expired when i bought it, he said "let me guess, you got it at Pet Supplies Plus? i said yes. he told me they had been having a LOT of trouble with PSP not rotating their stock. taught me a valuable lesson!

Little Big Blue 05-27-2013 07:03 PM

Being new here, and this being my first "reply", I hope you'll forgive the intrusion, but since I have been working with microbes as a way to cleanse water and soil for 5+ years and have tried many bacterial base solutions (including my own), i thought i would give my two cents.
Aquabella is one of the products I have tried and put through the test in various situations (overstocked, high phosphate content, over/under feeding, ...), there is one thing that puzzles me through this day and i have not been able to replicate no matter what i try. They achieve a high level of performance as long as a selected group of bacteria (not just the nitrogen and phosphate eating bacteria) are present. Their seems to be a mutualistic relationship that is only found in nature, and even there, not always. If i look at other "interesting" solutions like Algone, Dr. Tim's ..., there is a constant need to regenerate the CFU.
In one of my test tank, i was able to keep what they say they do for 7 months. I stop the experiment there, because nothing bad was happening, but the usual algae growth on the live rock and live sand, although at a much slower rate than normal although i was overfeeding, and nothing that a mexican turbo snail could not take care of.