Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Newb to salt water! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/newb-salt-water-12012/)

WHiteout 02-18-2008 05:54 PM

Newb to salt water!

Hello!!!

so, iv decided that i want to build and maintain my own saltwater/reef tank. Iv done alot of research and im still in the process of learning about everything before i buy it.

heres what iv got so far...

im going to purchase a 75 gallon tank this friday and should have it in my house by wed. As for a filtration system, im still in the dark as to what a good one would be and how much it would cost to get it, the same goes for lighting(pun intended about being in the dark! i have no idea about any of it!) Chemicals , curing and liverock in general. Iv researched some corals and fish for when the time comes, and i talked to a couple different vendors in town but im not sure if i really trust them. so that leaves me with the question "is it safe to buy live rock, fish, inverts and coral form online dealers?????

im fully aware that maintaining and beginning a new tank is full of mishaps and should take a ton of patience and money but i really really really would like to put all of my time in to it!

i know it sounds kinda lazy but i was curious if some of you could help me out with specific links to each thing, or even what your set up was like when you first started?

thanks for taking the time to read this!

-chris

SeaSerpant 02-19-2008 06:46 PM

Re: Newb to salt water!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHiteout
Hello!!!

so, iv decided that i want to build and maintain my own saltwater/reef tank. Iv done alot of research and im still in the process of learning about everything before i buy it.

heres what iv got so far...

im going to purchase a 75 gallon tank this friday and should have it in my house by wed. As for a filtration system, im still in the dark as to what a good one would be and how much it would cost to get it, the same goes for lighting(pun intended about being in the dark! i have no idea about any of it!) Chemicals , curing and liverock in general. Iv researched some corals and fish for when the time comes, and i talked to a couple different vendors in town but im not sure if i really trust them. so that leaves me with the question "is it safe to buy live rock, fish, inverts and coral form online dealers?????

im fully aware that maintaining and beginning a new tank is full of mishaps and should take a ton of patience and money but i really really really would like to put all of my time in to it!

i know it sounds kinda lazy but i was curious if some of you could help me out with specific links to each thing, or even what your set up was like when you first started?

thanks for taking the time to read this!

-chris

It is if you find out what people have said about them. if there are good reviews go for it. if not don't.