Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   swordtail fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/swordtail-fry-12006/)

daveyjones 02-18-2008 03:37 PM

swordtail fry

I have about 30-2 1/2 week old swordtail fry. I am looking for info on what to expect and best way to care for them and also I have been losing about 2 a day. Is this normal or is something wrong...I have been able to guess how many will die by their behavior the previous day ie not much movement and laying at bottom of breeder net. Even though they all look to be very active -the next day 1 or 2 more will appear at bottom. I have all of them still in net, don't know if this is too many for net and should they be divided. As I said they all are in breeder net in a 20 gallon tank. I have been feeding them about 4 times a day (flakes made into powder) I did just read I should skim water in net since filter doesn't work too well through mesh net. I did this today. Any help and advice will be appreciated. The whole tank itself is only 3 1/2 weeks old. Bought tank for sons room and surprise!! @ 40 swordtail fry the following week. When I was told female would have more in about a month she went back to store.

jr.masterbreeder 02-18-2008 04:22 PM

try letting them out... i had mt Swordtail fry out and only around 15 survived but it works... I just let nature take its course...

crazy4fish 02-18-2008 04:30 PM

make sure that the net isnt in a place where it gets hit with a strong current from the filter. this could exhaust the fry and may be why they are dying. :( you might also want to try spliting them between 2 nets so that they can have more room and cleaner water. are they in a net or plastic breeder box? try to keep the water clean in their net/box. this happens with my guppies too, but only a few die. how many have died so far? let me know if any of these things work. if not i'll keep brain storming :wink:

daveyjones 02-18-2008 07:28 PM

swordtail fry

Thanks for the quick replies. It may or not be the current from the filter since the placement of the net is to one side. I do have it in front of the heater, I think because I read the fry like the water temp a bit warmer. So I am going to move it and see what happens, along with dividing them up from the net into a plastic breeder box a friend borrowed to me. How often should the water be changed? Should I just use the water in the tank for this? I believe about 6 have died other than the 3 she ate and the 2 that looked deformed at birth.

crazy4fish 02-19-2008 12:02 PM

ok well good choice moving the net away from the heater. does the plastic container allow water from the tank to come into it? and yes you should use the tank water to fill it. you should probably change the water in the plastic box every 2-3 days depending on wether or not water can flow into it. obviously if water cant get in you would have to change it more often. dont change all the water just a bit so you dont disturb the fry. :wink: