Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Holy StinK! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/holy-stink-12005/)

tennis4you 02-18-2008 03:00 PM

Holy StinK!

My tank started stinking last night. I have over cleaned a tank in the past and it made it stink, but this is a little more potent...

I moved everything, every rock and even the huge castle to look for the new rope fish I figured was dead in the tank. But he is fine and alive, he just likes that castle where it is hard to find anything. All other fish are accounted for.

What can cause this type of stink?

As a side note... I have put two piece of brocalli in the tank over the last 2 weeks. I cannot find either of them. Not sure if the fish picked it apart or what. The snail usually lives on it for a day or two and the pleco and bala sharks work on it too. They were not huge pieces but they are unaccounted for as well. But again, I just lifted every rock, I can find nothing.

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!

tennis4you 02-18-2008 03:10 PM

I should add...

I have been changing 15-20% of my water every 7-10 days. I do not over feed so I do not think that is an issue either. My plants have not been doing great, maybe I should get some of the browning leaves out?

The only new addition to the tank is the huge castle I got a week ago.

BTW, this is my 125g tank.

herefishy 02-18-2008 03:55 PM

If you have power filters, you may want to check them. A clean aquarium will have some odor, but should never stink. Check any tubes. Check behind the tank. If the odor persists, begin filtering over charcoal. It may take a while with the filtering, but it will work.

tennis4you 02-18-2008 05:32 PM

I did a 25% water change and cleaned the canister filter. I will see how it smells tomorrow. Hopefully it will do the trick, I fear it will not...

crazy4fish 02-18-2008 06:04 PM

was anything in the pipes of the filter? anything behind or under the tank stand(if you have one)? there isnt an excess of algee is there?

tennis4you 02-18-2008 06:39 PM

Everything was clean behind the tank, you can really smell it if you lift the lid and take a sniff...

Algae has never really been an issue for me.

crazy4fish 02-19-2008 12:07 PM

have you been putting any kind of medicine or conditioner in the water that would give it an oder? when you do water changes... the new water that you add doent smell before it goes in the tank right?

tennis4you 02-19-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish
have you been putting any kind of medicine or conditioner in the water that would give it an oder? when you do water changes... the new water that you add doent smell before it goes in the tank right?

I use Prime as the water conditioner but that is it. The water as it goes in the tank is perfectly fine, and it has been for the last 18 months that I have had the tanks set up.

Pulled out the huge new castle and ran it in the dish washer with no soap. It stunk pretty bad when it was done and it still stinks. I do not want to put it back in the fish tank yet as it may very well be the reason the tank stinks to high heaven right now. How can I clean the castle to remove the stink?

crazy4fish 02-19-2008 02:22 PM

i'm not really great with cleaning tips... the only thing i can think of would be to scrub and soak it.

Amphitrite 02-19-2008 02:40 PM

What sort of substrate do you have in the tank? And do you clean it regularly when doing water changes?