Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Flourish Comprehensive - color? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/flourish-comprehensive-color-120027/)

Tracy Bird 11-16-2012 06:04 PM

Flourish Comprehensive - color?

Running low on Flourish Comprehensive, so I bought a replacement bottle.

Opened the replacement bottle today and noticed a HUGE difference in the color of the formula in the old bottle compared to the new bottle.

Wondering if there is something wrong with the new bottle?

To better explain: the old bottle looked just like bock beer, the new bottle looks just honely ale - understand now? :-D

Ogre44 11-16-2012 06:12 PM

Did you try shaking it, maybe it settled out.

Tracy Bird 11-16-2012 06:19 PM

Yes indeed, first thing I did when I noticed the difference was shake it, shake it, shake it good....

DKRST 11-16-2012 06:59 PM

Not a problem to worry about. "Fresh" it looks like honey/ale in color. Once exposed to air or as it ages, the liquid darkens over time. I purchase a couple of 2-liter bottles every year, and keep them in the 'fridge. By the time I finish up even the first liter bottle, it's a very dark solution but seems to work well still. It's probably some type of chemical oxidation, but doesn't seem to impact the results.

Tracy Bird 11-16-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 1313737)
Not a problem to worry about. "Fresh" it looks like honey/ale in color. Once exposed to air or as it ages, the liquid darkens over time. I purchase a couple of 2-liter bottles every year, and keep them in the 'fridge. By the time I finish up even the first liter bottle, it's a very dark solution but seems to work well still. It's probably some type of chemical oxidation, but doesn't seem to impact the results.

Well that's good to know that all is well....

I don't keep mine in the fridge - maybe I should?

DKRST 11-16-2012 07:30 PM

The manufacturer recommends refrigeration after opening, but it's not required.

CinBos 11-16-2012 08:40 PM

So do you think its best to refigerate?
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 11-17-2012 11:33 AM

I'm with DKRST on the colour, I too buy the 2L jugs and notice the same.

Shake it before each use; obviously there may be some settling...can't see into the opaque jugs but I did once notice sediment near the end, so just a quick inverted shake for a couple seconds each time [make sure the cap is on tight:-)] doesn't hurt.

I also keep mine cool, in my wine cooler fridge. Seachem said it doesn't matter, but if this is true, I have to wonder why they suggest it??? For the limited space it takes up, refrigeration won't hurt.

Byron.