Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   I need filter assistance fast! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/i-need-filter-assistance-fast-119940/)

MellC 11-16-2012 12:40 AM

I need filter assistance fast!

I have a Marineland® Penguin® Bio-Wheel Aquarium Power Filter (100B, I think) and I'm not sure it's working properly in my 20Gal. tank.

I have 6 Corys, 14 Tetras, 1 Rafael, 3 Cherry Barbs, and 4 GloFish.
No live plants.
Air stone made for a 30 Gal.
Filter and heater came with the tank.

I am constantly changing replacement cartridges, about every 5 days lately. They are supposed to last 2-4weeks.

I know I have been over feeding my fish the last few days, but have gone back to their normal amounts.

So my question is what is a better filter I can have that won't cost me as much each month? Also what is the difference between all the different types of filters out there. Before anyone answers these questions, I feel the need to mention I am a graphic design major, so "speak" in less "technical" terms. I should also say I'm in college and have a limited budget, so a $100 filter is not an option for me at the moment.
Thank you!:-?

AbbeysDad 11-16-2012 04:58 AM

You don't need to replace those cartridges - just rinse them well and reuse them over and over until they practically are falling apart. There are other better HOB filters. I am a fan of the Aquaclear filters as we can select the type/volume of media.
However, for now on a tight budget, just rinse (in tank or conditioned water only) and reuse those cartridges!

MellC 11-16-2012 07:55 PM

Thanks. I tried reusing them. It worked for my Aqueon filter (too small for my 20 Gal), but the cartridges clogged with the Marineland and the water started coming out of the overflow.... So that was a no go. I went to Petsmart today, and got sucked into buying Fluval coincidentally by AquaClear. The Cloudiness seems to be fading, but I'm going to do another large water change just in case. I really aught to leave my money at home when going to the pet store. I love spoiling my cat and fish.

AbbeysDad 11-18-2012 07:46 AM

Just curious....what model Fluval? (Oh and the company name that makes Fluval and Aquaclear is Hagen aka Rolf C Hagen).

MellC 11-20-2012 01:58 AM

Thats a darn good question, and one that I'm not sure of the answer too... The only thing it says on the box is Fluval-formerly Aquaclear, and in a nice little typographic unit in the upper left hand corner of the box it says, 30-For aquariums 10-30US Gal-150GPH-Power Filter. Then in a nice graphic circle and typographic unit on the bottom right it says Cycle Guard now with Biomax- preserves beneficial bacteria-Patented Refiltration System. Now that I'm really looking at the box their are a few design mistakes, tskk-tskk....

However it seems to be working wonderfully! My tank is clear, fish seem to be happy except for two adult Neon Tetras. That however could be due to age, as they are not bloated, have spots, or any other symptom that looks like an illness. They are just pale, a little lethargic, and do the vertical "OH-NO it's going to die!" every once in a while, and then they right them selves. So I assume it's just age, or the shock of the storm and then the level spike in the tank. But like I said the rest of the fish seem to be fine, they are all active, have their full colors, and proper fishy posture....