Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Missing Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/missing-fish-119829/)

CelsB 11-15-2012 05:59 AM

Missing Fish

I always count my fish at feeding time and today I noticed I have an Ember Tetra missing. I even know which one it is as I had one that was smaller than the rest, a lively little guy who was always very brave at feeding time. I also did a water test and noticed a slight rise in ammonia. I did a 25% water change and looked for a dead fish but without success, not surprising as I have quite a few live plants. I will continue to do water changes but if I can't find him should I remove all the plants so I can look among them, or will the additional ammonia from a decaying fish gradually dissipate?

AbbeysDad 11-15-2012 08:38 AM

With careful examination, you would likely find him in the plants. Do you have any other decor like wood or rocks? It's amazing how a dead fish can become almost buried behind, nearly under decor...
Although remote, perhaps he jumped out?

Good luck.

Geomancer 11-15-2012 08:44 AM

Not terribly uncommon either for the other fish to feast on a dead one. Doesn't take long for them to pick their bones clean.

twocents 11-15-2012 08:45 AM

sometimes they can never be found.
after a few days, there may be very little left as well; all that one eventually does find is a fish skeleton.
no, I would not uproot everything, pick things up.
it's amazing how much grunge this can stir up.
and I do vacuum my gravel during my weekly water changes.

Byron 11-15-2012 05:11 PM

I agree. You haven't mentioned the other tank inhabitants, but a dead Ember is almost certain to get eaten over-night by a number of fish, particularly any catfish/pleco which are active at night. The ammonia is not an issue, especially with live plants.

CelsB 11-17-2012 04:00 AM

Thanks to all of you.

I do have rocks and driftwood which I remove weekly when I syphon the gravel. I have 7 cory catfish which might have eaten the little chap, also a couple of hillstream loach. The water flow at the surface is also quite strong so I would be surprised if he had managed to jump out but I checked behind the aquarium anyway.

The small rise in ammonia seems to have fallen back to zero now so I'm not too worried.

Incidentally, I have a lovely piece of video of my hillstream loach doing a mating dance. I would upload it if I knew how :question:

boxercrazy156 11-17-2012 10:10 AM

one of my golden zebras disappeared never to be found its a mystery some of them woulde go missing for a week and then be back but he never reappeared I had 2 with lines accross them only have one now a guy at the lfs store told me he had a friend whos 2 loaches lived in the cannister filter he would clean it out but them back in the tank and then they would dissappear back in the cannister filter

Byron 11-17-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelsB (Post 1314078)
Incidentally, I have a lovely piece of video of my hillstream loach doing a mating dance. I would upload it if I knew how :question:

You can upload photos but not videos directly. Other members upload the videos to a site like Youtube or similar, then post the link.

CelsB 11-17-2012 01:05 PM

I think I've done it :-D

I probably should have put it somewhere different, sorry. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate section of the forum.